Can I exclude external drives from Spotlight searches?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have two external drives hooked up. Everytime I use Spotlight, I have to wait for both of them to wake up.

It's annoying. The external drives are only used for backups, so I don't want Spotlight to search them.

Is there a way that I can have Spotlight ignore the external drives?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Yes, go to System Preferences. Click the Spotlight Icon. Click Privacy. You should see a + and - sign on the bottom. Click the + and choose your external hard drives. I do the same thing.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by barimzi View Post

Yes, go to System Preferences. Click the Spotlight Icon. Click Privacy. You should see a + and - sign on the bottom. Click the + and choose your external hard drives. I do the same thing.

Worked like a charm!

Now, to just have the courage to upgrade to Leopard.......
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I'd do it. I already did, just over a week ago. I have a iMac G5, so your C2D iMac should handle it a lot better then mine is, not to say it's doing bad. Leopard is so much better and things move faster.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

I'd do it. I already did, just over a week ago. I have a iMac G5, so your C2D iMac should handle it a lot better then mine is, not to say it's doing bad. Leopard is so much better and things move faster.

I'm sure it'll be fine. I'm still stuck on the old MS days, when upgrading was a big deal. I've made my backups, so it should be no problem. I'm going to do a nuke & pave with a completely reloaded system, just for the heck of it.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Done. Leopard is now installed.

I also setup a new LaCie D2 Quad Interface 500GB HD to use with Time Machine.

I'll also be using an external 250GB HD to use with Super Duper when it's compatible with Leopard.

Next step? Purchase another Leopard to use with my MacBook.