Leopard: Dashboard may be broken

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I remembered that with Tiger you could put Dashboard in Developer Mode and keep your widgets on desktop. Thought it'd be cool to try this, so I looked up how and ran the code on Terminal. Now dashboard doesn't work anymore. I assumed the code, which I'll be posting soon, would work fine on Leopard as it did in Tiger. Not for me. The code was: defaults write com.apple.dashboard devmode YES followed by return and killall Dock. I tried just reversing it and changing the YES to NO but that didn't work. I also decided to restart my computer, nothing. I even tried repairing permissions and after about 20 minutes it was done. Now, I vaguely remember seeing that Dashboard permission was 501 and that it should have been 0. Actually, that may have been reversed, not sure. Either way, dashboard doesn't work, not that I used it often, but I'd like to get it working again. Does anyone know what I can do? I really don't want to reinstall Leopard just for Dashboard. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    I have an update:

I decided to make a test accound and see if dashboard worked on it. Dashboard worked. I used the read command in terminal to see the defaults for com.apple.dashboard in both my main account and my test account. The only difference I saw was that in my main account that had no working Dashboard showed this under Terminal:

);

"tilde-mod" = (

);

My test account showed this:

);

"tilde-mod" = (

);

I have no idea what this means but even after changing that particular default on my main account to match that of my test account with a working dashboard the default would change back. I'd change the default to 0, 0, kill the dock and when I'd click the dashboard icon it'd open and quickly close. I guessed that this was dashboard changing the default back and after repeating what I did before, a check of the defaults on Terminal confirmed it. Does anyone have any idea on what went wrong?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Apple has a post:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=307022

Basically PC + Fast User Switching sparks a persistent Dashboard crash. Their fix has not worked for me yet but it's worth a try. PC is also alleged elsewhere to be an occasional resource hog -- I'm going to stop using it.

I read about this at:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....sageID=5745712

Really, Apple should notify us of these things as soon as they know!