OS X updates fail...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have OS X and have been happy with it. However, I keep encountering errors every time I've tried to update it. I have 10.4.9 but I have never been able to update to 10.4.10 or 10.4.11. Even though I have no problems with updates for the rest of my applications, every time I try to update OS X to 10.4.10/11 I get this:

All help will be appriciated... Any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    It looks like something has gone wonky within the system itself.

The best idea would be do an archive and install and update the system after it with all available updates. This should fix the system not being able to be updated issue.

All your apps and preferences will be kept and will all show up after the archive and install.

One thing to remember is to have no external devices other than the keyboard and mouse connected as usb and FW devices can cause issues.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob05au View Post

It looks like something has gone wonky within the system itself.

The best idea would be do an archive and install and update the system after it with all available updates. This should fix the system not being able to be updated issue.

All your apps and preferences will be kept and will all show up after the archive and install.

One thing to remember is to have no external devices other than the keyboard and mouse connected as usb and FW devices can cause issues.

Thank you much for the reply!

Forgive my n00biness...
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Sorry about that I should have been a little clearer.

Ypu will need to boot off the installer DVD once booted start the installer accept the licence and the next screen should have Options buton bottom left corner under this it gives the options for a clean install (not needed) and also an Archive and Install.

This archives all you apps and preferences and alike whilst it does a system install. these are all replaced into the original place via the installer.

Once it has finished and your mac has rebooted run software update and all available updates should now show up and be able to be applied. You may need to run software update anuything up to three times to gain all updates.

If you have any problems and use ichat please contact me on this addie [email protected] . Just copy and paste this into your buddie list as a new buddie and you should see me appear in your buddie list.

I will help further and I am online for quite a while if needed.

PS: just a note to the admins and mods about my ichat addie being posted. I don't have a problem with other members contacting via this as I find it has helped a lot in the past.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Try manually downloading the combo updater for 10.4.9 (your current version) from Apple's website and run it. Then try updating to the later versions.