Amazon Kindle... Where's Apple?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Amazing! A light, EVDO-connected (for purchases) electronic ink book from Amazon.com! Will Apple follow suit sometime soon? Really phenomenal product introduction.

Amazon now has the Digital Text Platform as their link for authors and publishers to upload their books (it's basically converted to HTML), and they can track sales and receive payment directly from Amazon (note that this includes blogs as well as books!!!).

...and a good article in Newsweek about the thinking behind Kindle.

Notes from the Kindle launch at Engadget.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Amazing! A light, EVDO-connected (for purchases) electronic ink book from Amazon.com! Will Apple follow suit sometime soon? Really phenomenal product introduction.

$400 for an electronic book. I'd rather get an Asus eepc for half that. The iphone has an expensive contract so not as comparable but I find reading on the iphone to be very easy and typing is great. The buttons on that screen reader look terrible. If Apple put something like that onto the ipod touch with access in places like starbucks, I could see it being much more popular. Music and your books in your pocket.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Wifi could be a future option, but obviously Amazon thinks that by subsidizing access to their Whispernet™ over Sprint they can increase access and sales through Amazon. I think it would only be a matter of time before they turn this into a general purpose tablet computer that would allow text/book uploads from the field for writers.

I think it is an absolutely amazing first product, regardless of the high introductory price.