DVI out (mac) to HDMI in (tv)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Does anybody have any insight to offer? I just purchased a DVI to HDMI cable to connect my MacBook Pro to my Panasonic Viera 50" Plasma. The mac detects the TV, The TV is set to HDMI 1 (the correct physical input) for some reason I just get a black screen.I have tried every resolution, and mirror on/off. Nothing seems to work. O incase anybody asks the TV is turned on.

Please help I need to send emails from my couch

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kittenmitts View Post

Does anybody have any insight to offer? I just purchased a DVI to HDMI cable to connect my MacBook Pro to my Panasonic Viera 50" Plasma. The mac detects the TV, The TV is set to HDMI 1 (the correct physical input) for some reason I just get a black screen.I have tried every resolution, and mirror on/off. Nothing seems to work. O incase anybody asks the TV is turned on.

Please help I need to send emails from my couch

Just incase anybody else out there has the same trouble.

Mac DVI output is incompatible with this TV's resolution. You must use the DVI to S-video adapter which comes with the MacBook and go into TV's S-video, as well as out from audio out to TV's audio in. So to be clear, you need two completly different cables from the one I purchased and the quality will not be up to HD standard. Oh well
  • Reply 2 of 7
    so what resolution will the DVI output handle, mine would be hooked up to a 26" lcd
  • Reply 3 of 7
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Kittenmitts, I wouldn't give up quite yet.... see here.

SwitchResX is a small app expressly designed to do what you want you to do-- set a custom output resolution so your Mac can talk to your HD display.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Kittenmitts, I wouldn't give up quite yet.... see here.

SwitchResX is a small app expressly designed to do what you want you to do-- set a custom output resolution so your Mac can talk to your HD display.

I was told that Apple is addressing this HDMI display problem that arrived with the 10.5.7 update. SwitchresX provides an "almost like it was" solution, but the colors are wrong and it's not high definition. There are a few thousand of us who miss our HDTV monitors and we await a fix from Apple.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    WAY old thread...

In fact, the problem is/was being discussed BEFORE 10.5.7 was ever released... would lead me to believe the problem was NOT introduced with 10.5.7

OSX just has problems with HDMI.... I can't get a mini, powerbook, or iMac to see the native resolution of either of my HDMI panels.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

WAY old thread...

In fact, the problem is/was being discussed BEFORE 10.5.7 was ever released... would lead me to believe the problem was NOT introduced with 10.5.7

OSX just has problems with HDMI.... I can't get a mini, powerbook, or iMac to see the native resolution of either of my HDMI panels.

You are right. There was an update a week before the 5.7 up date that made the hdmi connection a little squirrely, but after the 5.7 my Macbook could not find a way back to "native resolution".

The problem came in 2 updates. Prior to those, there was no problem seeing an exact image of my computer screen on the HDTV. There has been much written about this in other forums.

Several posters said they spoke with Apple and that Apple would be addressing it after the new iPhone was released. If you have Applecare, call and ask when it will be fixed.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    This HDMI problem has been around for absolutely ages. I've had the same resolution bother with my Mac Mini to 42inch plasma since 10.4.x. I've tried SwitchResX and it is not a full fix. Pity.

Come on Apple! This should be a simple enough fix?!!