China's New 'Love Craze' ? Black Market iPhones

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Despite rampant rumors of a deal between Apple and China's largest cellphone carrier, no one knows when the iPhone is supposed to hit China officially. But that hasn't stopped Apple's popular smartphone, known in China as "Ai Feng" ("Love Craze"), from becoming a bona fide black-market hit.

In one Chinese netizen's words: "It's like the whole country has gone iPhone, all my friends have become iPhoners." The iPhone is readily available in computer superstores in most large Chinese cities.

iPhone in China

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    This is an interesting story as many here think Asia would sneer at the iPhone as being old technology.

I think this only helps Apple to begin building demand for the iPhone in Asian markets. This will help Apple leverage favor with mobile service providers in Asia as they can clearly see their is demand for the device.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    The Chinese market is just as concerned about style and appearance as the US and Europe. Personal style will win out over cost almost every time for fashion accessories.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

This is an interesting story as many here think Asia would sneer at the iPhone as being old technology.

By "old technology" you mean just the data speeds right?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    That girl is awful hard on the eyes eh?

• Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

By "old technology" you mean just the data speeds right?

There are many who proclaim that the iPhone will not do well in Asia because their phones are so far beyond anything in the US.

The iPhone doesn't do many of the things people in Asia like phones to do. So that will to some degree limit its adoption. I don't think this has to do with advanced electronics as it has to do with cultural differences. People in the US don't want to use their phone to scan bar codes and buy things. You'd be afraid someone would steal your phone and go on a shopping spree at the expense of your credit health.

But overall Apple only wants 1% of 1 billion.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I thought it was going to be a story about the copies and ripoffs. I think I'd still consider the real iPhones as gray market, not black market. Gray market is the real thing, but sold outside of its region (or outside "authorized" distribution channels), so you don't really get support or warranty.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    ajayajay Posts: 117member
    Quote:

iphone is definitely not seen as old technology - perhaps the ipod halo effect has helped to build iphone's image as a sturdy, reliable & "cool" product.

well, for that matter, the remainder of phones sold in the US would be considered lame even in India.

btw, the iphone is already available in Indian grey market (mainly Bombay & New Delhi) for $500-$600. or if you take in yours, it's unlocked for ~$75. Maybe it would surprise the average American, but India hasn't had any contract-subsidized mobile phones - in fact, people in major cities are more than willing to throw in that amount of money just to have the "coolness" associated with the iphone.

further, while everyone is going ga-ga over Visual voicemail (for good reason), voicemail is not really big in India. though mobile operators provide voicemail, very few actually use it (once again in the cities). so people aren't really upset about missing out on Visual-VM.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Wow.... surprised about this one. Its a pleasant surprise. I'll still be interested to see how the iPhone is going to sell in China. I feel like Apple is going to their strongest markets first with the iPhone (US first.... then UK/Germany)... China will be sometime in 2008, probably after Japan? I'll be interested to see how well it sells.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

I think I'd still consider the real iPhones as gray market, not black market.

Yep you're right this is gray market.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Yep you're right this is gray market.

No it's a yellow market with purple trimming Ok!!