Weird behavior when trying to move files

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hey,

I'm a new Mac user. From some reason, I can't seem to be able to perform a "move" command on any file that's in the "Macintosh HD" level (or any directory in it). The only possible option is to copy it. I should probably mention that deleting files is possible (just not moving them) and that I'm the system's admin.

I tried all key combinations/menu commands for moving, but nothing helps.

Moving a file that's under my user directory works just fine.

I'm using 10.5.1.

Any ideas? Is this a bug?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    If things are in icon view you will not have problems moving items around.

If they are in icon view forget it there is a mad bug that didn't get fully fixed with 10.5.1 and the finder.

It seems to be related to file permissions and the new access control lists.

Hopefully 10.5.2 when it arrives it may bring a more permanent fix.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    the usual rule with Mac OS is, if it is moving network or permissions domains, then it defaults to a copy. You should/may be able to reverse this by holding down the Command key when you drag. Give it a go anyway!
  • Reply 3 of 18
    lirandlirand Posts: 174member
    Holding ctrl doesn't help...

Anyway, rob05au - I didn't understand your message. The bug is in icon view or in the other views?
  • Reply 4 of 18
    lirandlirand Posts: 174member
    Btw:

Isn't there some keystroke to conduct a "move" command? Like CTRL+X for "CUT" in Windows.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    The bug is only when in icon view where files/folders are not able to be moved.

So far since 10.5.1 it has been working 85-90% of the time.

If you need to cut and paste use the following

Command (Apple Key) + X = Cut

Command (Apple Key) + C = Copy

Command (Apple Key) + V = Paste

I am not 100% sure if it is only to do with the finder or the finder and some form of permissions problem.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

the usual rule with Mac OS is, if it is moving network or permissions domains, then it defaults to a copy. You should/may be able to reverse this by holding down the Command key when you drag. Give it a go anyway!

Thx! This is what I am looking for since I switched to Mac and it works
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lirand View Post

Btw:

Isn't there some keystroke to conduct a "move" command? Like CTRL+X for "CUT" in Windows.

Unfortunately not...

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=80021
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokken View Post

Thx! This is what I am looking for since I switched to Mac and it works

Cool! Glad it worked for you. I must say, however, why Apple thought it would be a good idea to use CTRL to make it work one way, then COMMAND to reverse it... In my opinion it would've made more sense to make it the same key.

And I *still* think they should implement right mouse button dragging a-la Windows...
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob05au View Post

The bug is only when in icon view where files/folders are not able to be moved.

So far since 10.5.1 it has been working 85-90% of the time.

If you need to cut and paste use the following

Command (Apple Key) + X = Cut

Command (Apple Key) + C = Copy

Command (Apple Key) + V = Paste

I am not 100% sure if it is only to do with the finder or the finder and some form of permissions problem.

The cut command doesn't work with files/folders in the finder...
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lirand View Post

The cut command doesn't work with files/folders in the finder...

I wish I knew why not! Maybe some patent problem regarding Windows?
  • Reply 11 of 18
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Quote:

I wish I knew why not! Maybe some patent problem regarding Windows?

Nope, it's by design. There have been many, many threads on this already. Long story short - cut for files is bad, that's why you can use it.

There is some dodgy software which will add this functionality to the Finder, but I would avoid it if I were you... http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/22122
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Hmmm looks like a half-baked AppleScript, not quite a replacement for Windows' Cut n Paste. Think I'll pass thanks!

"Cut for files is bad"... Why is this? I use it all the time on a PC.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Quote:

Hmmm looks like a half-baked AppleScript, not quite a replacement for Windows' Cut n Paste. Think I'll pass thanks!

Wise choice, sir.

Quote:

"Cut for files is bad"... Why is this? I use it all the time on a PC.

Trust me - you don't want to get into that conversation. We'll be stuck here for days

Feel free to search the forums for old threads on this by all means.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yama View Post

Feel free to search the forums for old threads on this by all means.

Hmmm, believe me, I've read a lot of stuff about this on here and other forums. I still think the consensus is still pretty split down the middle. My opinion is, if a lot of people want it, why don't they allow these people to have it? It wouldn't cause problems for the people who don't like it.

Without a cut-and-paste I can find no way of easily moving files from one folder to another folder close by, without having to navigate to the other folder in a completely different window. And considering now Apple are moving even further towards the single Finder window approach, this is becoming ever-more essential.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Quote:

It wouldn't cause problems

I believe that's just the point, it could cause problems even for those who like it: for instance in case of a power outage while the cut operation is still only half way, while the file (or folder or...) that was cut hasn't been pasted yet. What would then happen?

-matts
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matts View Post

I believe that's just the point, it could cause problems even for those who like it: for instance in case of a power outage while the cut operation is still only half way, while the file (or folder or...) that was cut hasn't been pasted yet. What would then happen?

-matts

It would stay on its old location. If apple would would implement cut as copy and delete file on old location (after copy is succesfull), then you have a pretty fail-safe method for this. I believe this is how windows implements it and it is about the only thing I think about windows that actually works better than the Mac implementation. I'm a keyboard kind-a guy and I hate to be forced to use a mouse to move something from one place to another.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dutch pear View Post

I believe this is how windows implements it and it is about the only thing I think about windows that actually works better than the Mac implementation. I'm a keyboard kind-a guy and I hate to be forced to use a mouse to move something from one place to another.

At last, someone with a bit of common sense

This is the problem I believe. If Apple-only people were forced to use Windows for a couple of days they'd suddenly realise that there are some ways Apple could improve their OS. If people don't check out the competition then things begin to stagnate. Simply saying "OSX is the best OS on the planet" without knowing what else out there is incredibly short-sighted.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dutch pear View Post

If apple would would implement cut as copy and delete file on old location (after copy is succesfull), then you have a pretty fail-safe method for this.

Way too easy a solution to figure out by myself!

Quote:

If people don't check out the competition then things begin to stagnate. Simply saying "OSX is the best OS on the planet" without knowing what else out there is incredibly short-sighted.

So true.

-matts