OS X Feature Request List

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Let's make this the official repository for requests of features for OS X to keep it organized.

How to nominate a feature for inclusion on the list:

Example:

Name: Spring Loaded Folders

Description: (if necessary)

Example: a current OS or hack that has this feature. for SLF: Classic MacOS.

After nominating a feature, if there is support from others, I'll add it to the list. After a bit of time and a number of additions are suggested, i'll send it off to Apple. My motivation for creating this thread is that Apple is probably a lot more receptive to organized, well thought out feedback that has *a lot* of support behind it.

[ 12-30-2001: Message edited by: Jonathan ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    Name: Color Banding in Finder

Description: An option for color banding in list and column views in the Finder

Example: The iTunes song list window.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    synsyn Posts: 329member
    Name: Sherlock III

Description: Sherlock should leverage the database-like structure of HFS+. Searches would thus be instant, much like the "locate" UNIX utility. Queries should be savable, live and dynamic. ie if I look for all .mov files over 20MBs, not only should the search be instant, but I should be able to save it, and if I were to open that query again, then it should be up to date.

Example: Locate, but with a database updated every time a file is saved, and more features.

Name:Extensive meta-data usage

Description: make attributes user definable, indexed by Sherlock. When the user recieves a file with aboslutely not information whatsoever concerning the type, the OS should parse the header of the file and propose an andequate Application.

Example: BeOS, OS9 labels

Name: Node-Watching

Description: Allows for applications to know of files being deleted, added, modifyed. This would allow for instance the Get Info window to display the size of a download live. It would allow the Open/save dialogs to be Live.

Example: BeOS or AtheOS

[ 12-30-2001: Message edited by: SYN ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Spring Loaded Folders in Dock

Description: This would allow users to drag and drop files into docked folders by using the hierarchical menus.

Example: grr.. i know there's a website that has a mockup of this idea, i can't find it right now.

Removal of 5 Level Browseable Hierarchy Limit in Docked Folders

Description: In the name. This apparently was an arbitrary thing from Classic MacOS, and is rather unnecessary, especially with the deep UNIX file hierarchies imposed upon the user in OS X.

Allow User to Insert Extra Dock Seperators

Description: fairly self explanatory, really.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Name: "Customize Dock..."

Description: A menu and contextual menu selection as part of the Dock preferences. Allows the user to create separators or spaces, categorize divisions and choose from a default Dock layout.

Example: See typical Cocoa toolbar customization behavior. Semi-transparent sheet expands from Dock with icons, dividers and layouts to drag into place.

Name: Favorites in the Apple Menu

Description: Places a menu item, "Favorites" which shows the contents of the user's Favorites Folder as a sub-menu. To be located directly above or below the "Recent items" menu item in the Apple menu.

Example: See the OS 9 Apple Menu which has an alias to the Favorites folder by default.

Name: "Find" in Finder (see also Sherlock 3)

Description: Allow user to do a keyword search of Finder contents (i.e., local and/or network hard drives) on-the-fly from the Finder toolbar. Essentially places Sherlock 2's local hard drive search feature into the Finder. Also indexes Finder contents by daemon or background process by either assigned time or on-the-fly.

Example: See iTunes "Browse" feature or pre-Sherlock Finder for basic functionality.

Name: Color Banding in Finder

Description: See Belle's report

Example: iTunes (light blue but also light graphite), OS 8/9

Name: Scripts as Services

Description: Ability to create Services from AppleScripts or place Scripted Apps to be placed in Services menu/folder. Essentially to integrate ISO scripting and Services.

Example: See Apple's Toolbar scripts for examples where this is useful.

Name: Spring-loaded Folders

Description: Ability to extend drag-n-drop functionality in Column and List views for the Finder. Holding a file or group of selected files over a folder's name or icon, the contents of the folder will be disclosed, including further folders. (Could be used in icon view too though this raises issues.) Allow same or similar functionality in Dock.app icons and pop-up menus.

Example: See OS 9 spring-loaded folders.

Name: Contextual Menu plug-ins

Description: Framework, format or folder where contents allow custom menu items and options for control- (or right-) clicking filesystem items. Works pervasively (i.e., in an app).

Examples: OS 9 CMM format, Finder Pop shareware

Name: expanded Energy Saver options for portables

Description: Allow separate Energy Saver settings depending on whether portable Macs are plugged into an AC adaptor or using battery power. Typically, settings when using battery power are to conserve energy more than when plugged in. Factors include timing for display sleep, hard drive sleep, processor cycling for advanced users, downgrading the processor speed.

Example: OS 8/9 Energy Saver settings for portable Macintoshes

PS: thanks for the great format, Jonathan!

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: BuonRotto ]

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: BuonRotto ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 17
    g-dogg-dog Posts: 171member
    Name: Defragmenter

Description: A utility that defragments your HD designed for OSX.

Example: None yet for OSX. Norton Speed Disk.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Name: Remote Display

Description: Lets you export your display to other computers.

Example: X-Windows
  • Reply 7 of 17
    synsyn Posts: 329member
    Name: Multiple Desktops

Descritption: Ability to have severla user-definable desktop, with per-Desktop background picture, resolution. Ability to switch between various desktops by keyboard, or mouse flinging to a side of the screen. Ability to divide full screen btw as many desktops as set, to move windows around.

Example: see the way BeOS or WinXP do it.

And I agree with all of the above
  • Reply 8 of 17
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    WINDOW SHADE (I forget the proper name)

Description:
    The ability to collapse a window to its upper bar by double clicking. Its a pain to have to go to the dock to reopen a half open window.

Example OS 9 ect.

ITEM: Backround color change for Columns View

Description:
    Change the backround colors in Column view as you can in Icon view.

Example no examples but it would look SO GOOD and would ad a very fine touch to a potentailly elegant interface.

more later
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Name: Query Folders

Description: Allow the user to attach searches to folders that open in the Finder, instead of documents that open in Sherlock.

Example: Copland

[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: Mac The Fork ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Name: Sherlock-Finder Integration

Description: Allow Sherlock to be accessed from inside the Finder either by a basic search box or a search window for more advanced searches.

Example:
  • Reply 11 of 17
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Agreed! I sent this one to Apple some time ago.

Name: Sherlock-Finder Integration

Description: Allow File searches and indexing routines to be performed directly from the Finder Toolbar (launching Sherlock not required, even though it may use the same engine).

Example: type search request in small toolbar field, click "Find" button and wait for the results to appear in a drawer or sheet dialog of some kind.

--

Name: More Display Options for Column View

Description:: "Sort by Type", "Sort by Size", etc.

--

Name: Higher Quality Text Smoothing Across Resolutions

[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: Moogs ? ]</p>
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Name: More colour options for UI

Description: To be able to select the UI highlight colour from the standard colour wheel.

Example: Aqua and Graphite colours in current UI.

Name: Much more intelligent power management

Description:

Example: OS9 as a starting point

Name: Better mouse support

Description: Scroll wheels in Carbon and 4-5 button support everywhere

Example: Cocoa mouse support and shareware USB Overdrive.

Name: Heirarchical, user organisable font menues

Description: The ability to organise a font menu by font family and also by any arbitrary heirarchy. Selecting this as an option could be a single check box in the current Cocoa Font Panel. The font panel groupings could be used for the menu. (and see a couple more requests below).

Example: Various add-on menu utils for OS9--none of which really work that well IMO.

Name: Fonts Panel available anywhere.

Description: It is only available to Cocoa apps...this kind of separation between APIs is causing reduced usability.

Example:

Name: Deeper Heirarchy of Font Groups in Font Panel

Description: It's nice that we can make font groups but what about sub-groups?

Example:

Name: Font Panel as Inspector

Description: Add a file-browser-like UI, font previews, and plenty of hooks for 3rd party programs to use.

Example: None, although Suitcase and Font Reserve sort of get there...but they aren't totally compatible and are necessarily hacks. After 15+ years as the Desktop Champion the Mac is STILL mostly brain dead about fonts. If all the above stuff was in the base install then 3rd party apps could be more compatible and focus more on the features professionals need.

Name: Make files bundles too

Description: If files were bundles then adding XML-based metadata would be trivial. Apple could publish an appropriate DTD. Cross platform compatabilty for files etc. becomes easier. The DTD should be published as an open standard. The code that allows bundles should be given to the BSD and Linux groups as well.

Example: I see this as the 21st century version of Unix's "everything is a list". Other than that, nothing really.

Name: Help improve all Unices

Description: Spreading some of their tech to other unices helps make the Mac more interoperable. Almost anything that strengthens *nix and Apple's place among the other distributions will help Apple and their enterprise credibility.

Example: Microsoft's "fifth column?"

And votes for:

? Copland Query Folders (great call! especially if it were implemented as AppleScript Folder Actions)

? Colour banding in list views

? Scripts as Services

Thanks for a place to rant

[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: MemeTransport ]</p>
  • Reply 13 of 17
    enderender Posts: 353member
    Name: Renovate Energy Saver

Description: Currently we have terrible battery life in OS X. Need options to auto-dim screen to a set brightness, reduction in processor/video card power consumption, turn off networking if it's not in use (turn off Airport card when on battery unless already connected to Airport network), and maybe integrate some GUI element control if it would reduce processor load and free up more time to other applications (thus reducing battery draw).

Example: Sort of an extension of the control we had in the location manager, except focusing on battery life and using the Energy Saver panel for the options.

Right now, I use OS X when at home, but OS 9 when I'm on the road. Battery life is the culprit.

-Ender
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Name: (Mostly) Spatial Finder

Description: Keep track of the position of everything and only allow one view of a given folder at a time during normal operation, like the Classic Mac OS. Allow the user to have multiple views of the same folder if it is found to be useful. Integrate that function into the Spatial Finder by creating an object called a View that also remembers its position and the view of the objects within. Note: I'm sure the idea of a View is not original and it's probably not even helpful. On the chance that it is, though, what do you think?

Example: (Mostly) That other Mac OS.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    *bump*

Name: revised NetInfo Manager or "home administrator" app

Description: basic tutorial of NetInfo Manager.app for us non-geeks *or* a more basic GUI app to handle administrator functions such as permissions and groups of users.

Example: none that I know of.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Name: Concise Finder Toolbar Links (Alias')

Description: Ability to have many (without haveing to use the &gt;&gt; on the right hand side of the toolbar) folder and file links (and applescripts) in the finder toolbar

In a "normal" finder window I can have 6 links in the toolbar and all the others are found in the &gt;&gt; section of the toolbar on the right. In text mode I have 7 links. I would prefer having smaller (16x16 or variable size) icons and several rows of text or small icon links in that same space, plus additional items in the &gt;&gt; area. In this manner I could jump to all of my favorite areas in one click.

I like the "view" and "back" buttons as icons and text, but wish the links didn't take as much room so I could have more in the current space.

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: Chicken Tastes Good ]</p>
  • Reply 17 of 17
    enderender Posts: 353member
    Name: Editable Contextual Menus

Description: Allow the user to edit all contextual menus via an "Edit..." option at the bottom of each. Editing would be similar to editing the toolbar and would present all available actions and allow the user to select which actions to include in the menu and which order they appear in.

Example: Like toolbar editor, except use for contextual menus.

-Ender