Printing in B/W only (or grayscale) with HP PSC (multifunction)

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I am a mac newbie and would like to print on my HP PSC 2100 (combo print, scan, copy type of deal) only in B/W (which I think is synonymous with "grayscale"). While the printer is meant to be used for color as well, the only cartridge that I have in there is the black and white since I never do any color printing (don't print photos at home).

I would like to know what are the appropriate settings for successfully printing web pages (i.e. google maps), emails, just plain old word documents, etc. but ONLY in B/W.

I have tried changing paper type/quality to grayscale, but that doesn't seem to be allowing me to print correctly, for example, google maps print as very faint silhouettes. i realize that this setting is meant for the _paper_ but there was nothing else that I could find relating to B/W. There is no color cartridge in the slot, and I don't want to use color cartridges (expensive, useless to me, and ultimately wasteful for my applications).

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    do a save as pdf from the print menu. i think there are options in the preview application for converting colours to greyscale. you can fine tune the document to your preference in preview and then print the pdf. it is a bit of an extra step, but you get more control over the print output.

if i am not mistaken, most printers give you an option to print only in black&white or greyscale under advanced print properties, you could take a look in there first.