WMA in iTunes

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hey,

I was trying to import some WMA files into my iTunes and it didn't seem to work.

I'm a long time PC user and I know that the Windows version of iTunes is capable of handling WMA files (it converts them to AAC/Mp3).

Anyway, can't the Mac version handle WMA files?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lirand View Post

Anyway, can't the Mac version handle WMA files?

Not directly. There are ways around it:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...60917040944927

I'd probably use easywma or similar to do a batch conversion to MP3 or AAC. WMA support in Windows is built in because it's a Microsoft thing just like Quicktime comes built in with Macs.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    lirandlirand Posts: 174member
    That's kinda weird but ok...

Regarding that URL you gave me: When saving as a reference - do I lose any functionality? If not, Why should I bother converting?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lirand View Post

That's kinda weird but ok...

Regarding that URL you gave me: When saving as a reference - do I lose any functionality? If not, Why should I bother converting?

I don't know how the file sorting will work. Itunes sorts files in the filesystem automatically, I don't know if this will only sort the reference movies and the wma files will just be left where they are.

Also, the reference thing will be tedious as you'll have to do it for every track. A batch converter does them all at once. Plus the converted clips will work in any program, reference clips might not.

They won't work on an ipod for example.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I don't know how the file sorting will work. Itunes sorts files in the filesystem automatically, I don't know if this will only sort the reference movies and the wma files will just be left where they are.

Also, the reference thing will be tedious as you'll have to do it for every track. A batch converter does them all at once. Plus the converted clips will work in any program, reference clips might not.

This may help. It's fee.

http://www.flip4mac.com/pdfs/dat_flip4mac_wmv.pdf
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

ֿ

Will they work on AppleTV? (Or more interesting - would referenced DIVX movies work?)
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomp670 View Post

This may help. It's fee.

http://www.flip4mac.com/pdfs/dat_flip4mac_wmv.pdf

That's how the reference clips work. You install Flip4Mac and then use a quicktime reference so that it uses Flip4Mac to decode the WMA.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lirand

Will they work on AppleTV? (Or more interesting - would referenced DIVX movies work?)

Yes but you have to install the plugins on the Apple TV. This is one of the first things people did to their Apple TVs to get more functionality out of them. There is a quicktime component called Perian that decodes things like DivX and you install it on the Apple TV, there are instructions online - I think you either do a remote login or remove the hard drive from the Apple TV - and then install the plugins just as you would on OS X as it's the same OS and then you should be able to play these video and audio files.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Eh... I don't want to hack it...

Thanks anyway.