The Ultimate DVR - Need Advice

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Okay, so I am starting the transformation of my DVD collection to my computer.

At first I was thinking I would go with MacTheRipper to rip the DVD, and then use Handbrake to encode the DVD.

As much as I would like to go down this route, Handbrake is to much for me and I just want the best quality available, even if it means an enormous file, so I have decided that I will buy a 12 bay RAID and fill em up with 750 GB drives and will have the raw ripped file. Now, that's the easy stuff.

What I want to know next is the interface as to how this will be setup to the TV. I am thinking long term here and planning on buying a pretty much bare MacPro as the host so that I will be able to have PCI slots available for expansion.

My ultimate question, currently I do not have an HDTV, so what is the best option to interface between the TV and the MacPro? I want the best quality available and I am willing to spend the money but I don't want to buy some little box that's 50 bucks just to get lo quality video and two channel sound.

I am a complete amateur when it comes to all this video stuff so please put everything in non techno jargon terms.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Okay, so I am starting the transformation of my DVD collection to my computer.

At first I was thinking I would go with MacTheRipper to rip the DVD, and then use Handbrake to encode the DVD.

As much as I would like to go down this route, Handbrake is to much for me and I just want the best quality available, even if it means an enormous file, so I have decided that I will buy a 12 bay RAID and fill em up with 750 GB drives and will have the raw ripped file. Now, that's the easy stuff.

What I want to know next is the interface as to how this will be setup to the TV. I am thinking long term here and planning on buying a pretty much bare MacPro as the host so that I will be able to have PCI slots available for expansion.

My ultimate question, currently I do not have an HDTV, so what is the best option to interface between the TV and the MacPro? I want the best quality available and I am willing to spend the money but I don't want to buy some little box that's 50 bucks just to get lo quality video and two channel sound.

I am a complete amateur when it comes to all this video stuff so please put everything in non techno jargon terms.

Thanks in advance!

Why is handbrake too much for you? It's easy. I would not suggest keeping the raw file. You're talking like 6-8GB per movie, maybe more. If you rip with MTR and use handbrake on good hardware, it will go pretty quick and you'll have files with excellent quality.

You could just use an Apple TV, which will output to 720p quality. Since you don't have Hi Def, you don't need Super-Awesome? quality anyway. It's really a good option if that's what you want to do. 160GB will hold a boatload of good quality video, certainly good enough for a standard def TV.

I've used handbrake and MTR, so any questions, let me know.