Novell client coming for OSX

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I got this reply from ProSoft, makers of Novell connectivity software for the Mac.

[quote]

Richard,

The current client requires IPX on the server. It is only a function of turning on IPX, but that is something a lot of IT departments are unwilling to do.

We are developing an IP client for OS X. I don?t know when it will be released but it is scheduled for April 2002. I've taken your name and put it on my list of people to notify when it comes out.

Thanks,

--Dave

From the Desk of:

===========================

David Neil

Client Product Manager

Prosoft Engineering, Inc.

Dear ProSoft,

I am a struggling Mac user at the Swedish Postal Company (50.000 emplyoees).

I can't get the OS 9 client to work as it seems it requires meddling on the server side - something our IT department would never do.

Will there be a Novell Client version for OS X and in that case will it make my Mac to seamlessly integrate as a PC on our network, without any modifications on the server side?

Best regards,

/Richard

<hr></blockquote>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    This is Good News?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    WOOHOO!

Does this work for Novell Shares, and/or GroupWise?

Also, is there a 9 version of this client now- even one that uses IPX?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I wrote the guy at ProSoft again and asked if the OS X client still needed meddling on the server side to function properly. This being a chore the Mac-hating IT staff would never even concider.

[quote]

No. The client will be installed on the Mac and since everyone I've ever heard of uses IP for NetWare 5 and NetWare 6, nothing will need to happen to the server. Your network admin may never know you even have a Mac.

Thanks,

--Dave

<hr></blockquote>

Now, this is really good news for us Mac users in corporate networks.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    I wrote the guy at ProSoft again and asked if the OS X client still needed meddling on the server side to function properly. This being a chore the Mac-hating IT staff would never even concider.

[quote]

No. The client will be installed on the Mac and since everyone I've ever heard of uses IP for NetWare 5 and NetWare 6, nothing will need to happen to the server. Your network admin may never know you even have a Mac.

Thanks,

--Dave

<hr></blockquote>

Now, this is really good news for us Mac users in corporate networks.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    This is excellent. My college network (for the business school, at least) is 100% novell NetWare/GroupWise/Win2K. Currently i'm connecting through VPC4 with Win2K, but it's terribly slow...

This is excellent news indeed!

Thanks, richard788