Red Faction for OS X coming soon

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Inside Mac Games says that the work on the OS X version of Red Faction and the multiplayer patch to bring the game to the PC version is nearly complete. Should be out officially tomorrow, though you can request for the pre-release version today if you so choose.

Finally! I've been booting back and forth for weeks now. Now all I need is multiplayer for Giants and Sacrifice to be happy. And an extra $400 for an iPod. And an extra $5000 for a new computer with 22" LCD. But I'll settle for Red Faction in OS X.

-Ender

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I read about RF in the latest issue of Macworld. Looks pretty cool. Thinking I might need a Radeon card to make it worth my while though. But any game that allows you to deform terrain and buildings with your weapons can't be all bad! Like UT, only spleans and livers aren't the only things bouncing around on the ground...you can now add concrete, steel and charred earth to that list.

• Reply 2 of 3
    enderender Posts: 353member
    RF definitely needs a Radeon or GF2 in a decent machine. It's very demanding and my G4/500 DP w/ Radeon is barely up to the task (at least in OS 9... hopefully OS X will use dual processors... hopefully).

But if you have a machine that can handle it, it's a rad game. Single player is cool (with a lame ending, but who cares?) and multiplayer is cool because you can blow everything up and kill people by sneaking through the walls. Believe it or not, but my favorite weapon is the remote mining charge.

-Ender
  • Reply 3 of 3
    enderender Posts: 353member
    Well, it's out now. You can find it at any of the popular download sites (versiontracker, macgamefiles, etc.).

There are now options for FSAA with Radeon cards (either 2X or 4X), but they do not do anything due to ATi dropping the ball on the drivers. Bummer.

The only thing that I desire now is a dedicated server option. But everything else seems to work great.

Come on into my game if you see it up some time (Unofficial Pub Brawl).

-Ender