Your salvation from bouncing dock icons is here!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I was reading MacCentral and in this story:

<a href="http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0201/03.detox.php"; target="_blank">http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0201/03.detox.php</a>;

I found this:

Unsanity LLC has released Dock Detox, a freeware utility designed to suppress the bouncing notification behavior in Mac OS X's Dock.

The software includes a developer kit, to enable Mac OS X software developers to provide visual feedback in their applications rather than the default bounce notification.

Unsanity LLC advised that Dock Detox carries no guarantee of proper operation under all versions of Mac OS X.

Unsanity LLC's other releases include WindowShade X, FruitMenu, and ShadowKiller, Unsanity Echo and Mint Audio.

Unsanity's site is located at: <a href="http://www.unsanity.com/"; target="_blank">http://www.unsanity.com/</a>;

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Thanks for posting the link. It works great. I've been waiting for something like this since 10.1 was released. That bouncing icon was really annoying and it slowed down my computer alot.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    ybotybot Posts: 329member
    Yeah even on my 550mhz G4 PowerBook with 512mb of ram the bouncing slows things down. These Unsanity people make great OS X hack apps!

-Y
  • Reply 3 of 21
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Am I the only one who likes the bouncing icons?

I haven't really had issues with them slowing my computer down and i'm running a 333 iMac.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    enderender Posts: 353member
    Yeah, I've never had bouncing icons slow me down (G4/500 DP & Ti PB 667).

Anyway, what do the icons do now instead of bounce?

-Ender
  • Reply 5 of 21
    [quote]Originally posted by Ender:

<strong>Yeah, I've never had bouncing icons slow me down (G4/500 DP & Ti PB 667).

Anyway, what do the icons do now instead of bounce?

-Ender</strong><hr></blockquote>

They don't do anything.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    ...or you could uncheck the "Animate opening applications" checkbox in Dock Preferences within the System prefs apps and never see a bouncing icon again...
  • Reply 7 of 21
    [quote]Originally posted by Whyatt Thrash:

<strong>...or you could uncheck the "Animate opening applications" checkbox in Dock Preferences within the System prefs apps and never see a bouncing icon again...</strong><hr></blockquote>

No, not those bouncing icons. We're talking about the ones that bounce waaaay too high when an app needs your attention. Those are very annoying and take a lot of power away from the computer.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    mac gurumac guru Posts: 367member
    If a developer does something SMART with their icons (see Adium AOL IM client) the icon can do so much more than bouce like a f***ing rabid kangaroo... Adium's icon is a little bird that flaps its wings to get your attention. OS X allows for animated alert icons in the dock as does it allow for those bouncing icons.

Do the right thing and don't bounce icons PLEASE!

Mac Guru
  • Reply 9 of 21
    [quote]Originally posted by Mac Guru:

<strong>If a developer does something SMART with their icons (see Adium AOL IM client) the icon can do so much more than bouce like a f***ing rabid kangaroo... Adium's icon is a little bird that flaps its wings to get your attention. OS X allows for animated alert icons in the dock as does it allow for those bouncing icons.

Do the right thing and don't bounce icons PLEASE!

Mac Guru</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well until the developers do something smart, I woun't be having any bounching icons or anything like that.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    I'd like to speak up as someone else who isn't bothered by bouncing icons -- I find that feature rather cute -- and a good way of indicating that something needs attention.

But I don't object to seeing alternatives -- I'm not going to complain if some develper comes up with some nice alternative such as a suitable animated icon.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    I like the bouncing alerts for two reasons:

First, when I'm doing something, I'm not paying attention to any other apps. It takes a lot of noise and movement to get me to pay attention (especially ICQ... I guess I'm just not that thrilled to chat with most people).

Second, the icons bounce high enough to come fully on screen when the dock is hidden. A bird flapping away isn't going to get my attention if I cannot see it...

So although I find them annoying at times, sometimes that's not such a bad thing because it gets me to pay attention.

Definitely a haxie that I won't be using.

-Ender
  • Reply 12 of 21
    I wouldn't really mind them so much if they didn't slow everything down. Also, I'd like a way of being able to stop the bouncing if you don't wanna to go to that app yet. I actually like the bouncing but when it doesn't take away speed from everything else I'll have them on.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    as others have said, the problem currently with the hopping (as opposed to bouncing) icons is that they are not utilized correctly. They are supposed to be used when critical dialogs/errors show up in the Background. Dock icons are supposed to be animated or have badges for all other notifications. Until this behavior is better understood by developers and utilized properly, this seems like a legit alternative. If I ran AIM or something similar all the time, I'd get it myself. Like the Docking Maneuvers app before (which is still useful to some extent since pinning isn't implemented), this little thingy hopefully will not be necessary for anyone sooner than later.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    I see. So you all are saying that some programs have the jumping dock icons when something very minor is going on (like getting an instant message)?

That would get annoying... I don't run any programs that do that regularly.

As for the speed, I haven't noticed any slowdown when my dock icons are jumping. Are you all running on G3s or old G4s that have that problem? Doesn't seem like it should slow things down that much.

-Ender
  • Reply 15 of 21
    [quote]Originally posted by Ender:

<strong>As for the speed, I haven't noticed any slowdown when my dock icons are jumping. Are you all running on G3s or old G4s that have that problem? Doesn't seem like it should slow things down that much.

-Ender</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well I'm running a 500MHz iBook. I don't see a slow down with the normal bouncing icons while opening an app. It's only the annoying alert bouncing icons.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    I see, well I guess that's up to the programmers. IM programs could be programmed to do something smart, like flash a message icon over the app icon, and prolly even show the number of unread messages. Similar to how mail.app works.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    [quote]Originally posted by Whyatt Thrash:

<strong>I see, well I guess that's up to the programmers. IM programs could be programmed to do something smart, like flash a message icon over the app icon, and prolly even show the number of unread messages. Similar to how mail.app works.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's a good idea. Hopefully one day AIM will be like that.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    I first read the topic of this thread as "Your salivation from bouncing dock icons.."

Anyway, they're a little annoying to me (nothing to go postal about), but my mom (regular non-techie person) thinks they are cute. Just goes to show, different strokes.

Besides... I think for the most part, bad implementation of a good feature is giving it a bad rap. I'm keeping bouncing icons.. in hopes that future software comes closer to making good/tolerable use of it.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    [quote]Originally posted by bradbower:

<strong>

Besides... I think for the most part, bad implementation of a good feature is giving it a bad rap. I'm keeping bouncing icons.. in hopes that future software comes closer to making good/tolerable use of it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You're right, that's why when apps use them right I'll turn it back on. i actually like the bouncing, but I don't like how it slows everything down.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Hmmm, now that I've discerned a little more on the topic... I dunno how much of this is a programming issue and how much is on Apple's side. For instance, every time you mount an image the icon seems to start boncing, just because the app opens a sheet with a progress bar. Not even a dialogue that needs to be clicked. Click on the app and click away to get the bouncing to stop, or don't click at all and the app will shut down when finished, without problems or errors. So it seems a lot of events in an app trigger this behaviour (the bouncing icon) unneccessarely.

GodDAMN that word has got to be misspelled.. =)