multiple macs access itunes library

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I know this topic has been discussed before but this is my issue. I have a mac mini with a firewire drive that has my iphoto and itunes folder on it. All the rest of the macs in the house have an alias of the itunes main folder under user/music.

The problem I am now encountering is that if one person is using itunes, and someone else tries to use itunes I get a message saying the iTunes Library file is locked. Of course my guess is because it is being used by someone else and therefore only 1 person at a time can access it.

The reason behind the way I set it up was that I wanted anyone in the house to have access to one single itunes library. If someone wanted to delete a song in the library they could and it would be reflected throughout all the systems.

When someone dumps a song in the main library, they typically put the song they want in there own folder. We each have our own folders to play from and we never actually play the songs directly from the library. When we option-delete a song from our specific folder, it gives us the option to premaritally delete the song which is what we want.

Any suggestions on how multiple people could access the itunes library and do what I want?

thanks

David

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    I'd have it so that the iTunes library is local... just set iTunes up so it does not 'manage' where your files are/go. Then, drag and drop the network folder into iTunes.

In theory, you will be reading the files from the server, but will have your own playlists.