Best Safari feature EVAR!!!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
For the longest time, I've been annoyed to no end when I hear great music playing in a Flash player. I know it's an MP3, and is being loaded into the player, but there's no way of knowing where it's coming from. And thus, no way to download it.

I feel the MUST be a command line way of figuring this out, but eg: netstat doesn't tell you where the file is, only the originating server. I've googled high and low to no end (Anyone? Anyone?).

But in my course of googling, I found a post that told me Safari will tell you all active downloads in Window->Activity. Double-click the streaming MP3 link, and it opens in a new window. w00t!!

Now I'm going to go on a downloading rampage. Eat my shorts, MySpace players and others!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    been downloading youtube movies for months, great feature.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    It's handy, but sometimes it can be tricky to find the file link, there should really be a better way.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    the size is labeled so its pretty easy to know whats what
  • Reply 4 of 7
    I've just used this trick to d/l a YouTube clip and I can't open it in QT or VLC. What are you using to play things back ???

For reference, the clip I used is....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=B5HL_OF_KSs
  • Reply 5 of 7
    RealPlayer 11 has a really handy downloader app that automatically downloads any Flash video.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by corradoboy View Post

I've just used this trick to d/l a YouTube clip and I can't open it in QT or VLC. What are you using to play things back ???

VLC should play it but you can use isquint to convert it to an mp4. That way you can scrub through the movie.

In isquint just put the quality on high or highest. You can use H264 if you like but it'll take a bit longer. Average Youtube videos should convert in 1-2 minutes on a recent computer.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    iSquint does the trick, cheers

Now, if only I could get Safari to play mpegs within the browser again