unknown shared server

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm getting two unknown servers showing up in my finder under Shared. I'm assuming it's some ones misconfigured server. How can I tell for sure?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mystic View Post

I'm getting two unknown servers showing up in my finder under Shared. I'm assuming it's some ones misconfigured server. How can I tell for sure?

By "unknown", do you mean that you don't know where it's coming from, or that Mac OS X considers the servers unknown?

If it's the former, make sure that any wireless networks you are connected to are secured with a password. If there already are, sometimes Tiger retains the echo of a computer on the network for quite a while. Leopard seems to update the file sharing server list much more frequently.

If it's the latter, perhaps there are PC servers in your network environment that Mac OS X can't identify.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    mysticmystic Posts: 514member
    I'm using Leopard and have a local wifi network set up. the shared server has a name, "Sparky" I can browse folders on it but I can't write to it. It appears to be some business. My internet connection is wireless too. Maybe my ISP has something messed up.