iPod market dominance waning?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I guess it had to happen sometime.

Once, it seemed "iPod" was synonomous with the MP3 player. Today that dominance seems to be waning with the proliferation of the all the music phones et all.

I have to give Steve Jobs a lot of credit for seeing this coming. In fact it was his statements on DRM that are now becomming prophecy.

You know how Wal-Mart and Amazon all want to jump on board Steve Jobs vision of DRM-Free media. There is a perspective on the recent corporate support for DRM-Free MP3 sales that says that it's only because Apple products and its FairPlay DRM alone aren't guarantees of sales sucess anymore.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    I have a music phone, and it's OK, but it's not great. The functionality is basically as good as that from a Shuffle, which is fine, but it's a pain in the ass to get music on and off it. Part of the iPod equation is iTunes. iTunes, actually, is a very big part of the equation.

I would consider buying an "iPhone Nano," but the iPhone is too big. I don't carry around a purse for it. It would also be nice to have an electronic wallet and RFID keys. Then I could ditch bulky wallets and keys. I guess thumbprint ID still has a few years to go before this is a realistic expectation.

Either way, invest in Verifone.