Anyone else's mail gone crazy?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Mail is completely bonkers right now, and from what I saw on the Apple Support Forums, there are quite a few people with similar problems.

First of all, Mail on my MacBook Pro, with 10.5.1 on it, refuses to download any new mail. There should be e-mail there, since my Mac Pro, with 10.4.11, can see it, plus I can see it when I log into webmail. The MacBook Pro keeps complaining about some port issue (well, that's awesome, considering I have no idea which port it should be on, if not the current one). I tell it to go back online, and half the time it just ignores that I told it to, but even if it does go online, nothing works.

Just now, I tried adding a note, and questioned if I was using the note thing properly, because the notes wouldn't appear after I made them. Then after a minute or two, 3 copies of the same thing showed up (from the 3 times I tried it). Then, I would delete the 2 duplicates, and it took like 10 minutes for it to finally show that they were deleted.

Not to mention that it's a coin flip whether I can actually see the RSS feeds. Half the time, I'll load up Mail, and it'll be fine. Then--either right away or at some random moment later--the feeds will disappear.

The most annoying thing really is how Mail doesn't like to quit anymore either. I'll tell it to quit and it'll just keep on running. As far as I can tell, if I just let it sit for a minute or two, it will eventually quit.

Is anyone else having problems like this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I had an email that when selected would make mail hog up all available CPU. I loged onto my webmail and forwarded the email to myself nad now its fine.

The email is still in my inbox as i cant select it to delete it. Un-related to your problem, but a behaviour that mail has never displayed to me before.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by beta.services View Post

I had an email that when selected would make mail hog up all available CPU. I loged onto my webmail and forwarded the email to myself nad now its fine.

The email is still in my inbox as i cant select it to delete it. Un-related to your problem, but a behaviour that mail has never displayed to me before.

Thanks for your reply.

As an update, there seems to be something about the port that gives my laptop issues at school only. I tried it at home and it's fine again. I haven't really used the laptop at home much this month, and last week was the first time I used it at school since I upgraded to Leopard and started the .mac trial (didn't have any lectures during November). I guess maybe the school blocks the port Mail is trying to use or something, but I have no idea how to find out what port to use. I'm also graduating soon, so I don't feel like taking it up with the IT people, but does anyone have a suggestion for a setting to change somewhere? Specifically, it's complaining about port 993 usually, and when it isn't crying about that, it just tells me that the .mac mail server isn't responding.