Windows Live Messenger Alternitive for Mac

Posted:
in Mac Software edited July 2014
Hey,

I am about to buy my first apple mac. Its am imac 20". I currently have a dell windows laptop and use windows live messenger frequently. i need a instant messing program that allows me to talk to my hotmail and yahoo friends. It would be a huge benifit it it also has video support.

Thanks

p.t

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Iwantamac! View Post

Hey,

I am about to buy my first apple mac. Its am imac 20". I currently have a dell windows laptop and use windows live messenger frequently. i need a instant messing program that allows me to talk to my hotmail and yahoo friends. It would be a huge benifit it it also has video support.

Thanks

p.t

adium is an excellent program for instant messaging. Soon (an undetermined time), they are going to be implementing voice and video chat. You can also add basically and instant messaging buddy to your list.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    I don't know about yahoo support but amsn seems to have a lot of the other things you need:

http://www.amsn-project.net/index.php
  • Reply 3 of 9
    yah amsn beta seems really good, like there are a few bugs, like i have to right click on pepole and click chat rather than just double clicking but it has offline messages and video and audio chat.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Adium is by far the best instant messenger for OS X. Covers every single service you can think of.

The thing that REALLY sets Adium apart though is it's ability to completely customize it the way you want. You can go to http://www.adiumxtras.com and try out more sounds, display styles, and themes.

As far as usability and style goes, it's light years ahead of the official clients. Now granted it doesn't support video chat "yet", but rest assured, it's coming, and soon. The development team is among the most active of any software out there.

Of course my overselling this won't do anything in the end. The best thing to do is try it and mess around with the prefs yourself.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    i'm going to ahead and support you adium users. ive been using it for a few years now. very convenient.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    And while you're grabbing adium, grab Growl too which works with Adium as well as many other apps.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R View Post

And while you're grabbing adium, grab Growl too which works with Adium as well as many other apps.

Actually Growl comes bundled with Adium now, but giving that link was a smart move since the bundled copy doesn't have any of the extras, like GrowlTunes.
  • Reply 8 of 9

• Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smashbrosfan View Post

Actually Growl comes bundled with Adium now...

Clever!