Apple & OS X in the Enterprise??

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hey there,

I am a new Cocoa Developer using OS X (formerly NextStep). These development tools and frameworks are awesome - maybe some of the best OO stuff on the planet. The question I have is that if a developer wants to invest time into Cocoa, and it does require an up front investment, most of the consulting gigs or development jobs are going to go to custom app development inhouse. The other market is developing commercial apps for OS X like an software vendor.

However, most custom software development, is in the enterprise and I don't see Apple in the enterprise markets (financial, telco, etc.).

I have not heard one thing from Apple where they are addressing these new market segments. The main reason Apple acquired NeXT was for Jobs return, NEXTSTEP to replace failed Copeland project OS, and their NS Development environment. Enterprise customers bought NS solely for its rapid O development capabilities.

I am disappointed not to hear a peep from Apple's Market Development Team about any semi coherent Enterprise strategy. Does anyone know if Apple has an Enterprise strategy and what it is?

in the past, NeXT partnered with Sun. but the past is past. Maybe with Bud Tribble returning there may be new focus into this area.

Thanks alot for any info. Cocoa is truely amazing and want to see a market for it other than developing games, personal productivity tools.