Will there ever be an iPhone WITHOUT a camera?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I see so many posts asking for a better camera in the iPhone; how about one without a camera? We have all heard about security policies that forbid camera phones...Is Apple going to tap into this market?

Any rumors?

And no...removing the camera module is not good enough

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dlc1265 View Post

... We have all heard about security policies that forbid camera phones...Is Apple going to tap into this market?

The cellphone camera security risk is a total fabrication. Most documents today are available in electronic form. Email with attachments can distribute much more information with much greater fidelity much faster than you can with a hundred cellphones with or without cameras.

True Story: This past summer I took a tour of a nearby NASA facility. Cellphones were forbidden inside. The members of my group dutifully complied leaving their phones in their cars or back home. I was surprised and a bit amused to see a member of another tour group making full use of his PDA while we were in the heart of the facilty.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    eskimoeskimo Posts: 474member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

The cellphone camera security risk is a total fabrication. Most documents today are available in electronic form. Email with attachments can distribute much more information with much greater fidelity much faster than you can with a hundred cellphones with or without cameras.

True Story: This past summer I took a tour of a nearby NASA facility. Cellphones were forbidden inside. The members of my group dutifully complied leaving their phones in their cars or back home. I was surprised and a bit amused to see a member of another tour group making full use of his PDA while we were in the heart of the facilty.

Fabrication or not it is very real policy at many companies. I cannot enter my company without sealing my camera phone into a tamper proof bag.

My experience is similar to yours. Companies that are serious about security to the point of banning camera phones would not allow an iphone simply for the fact that it can still be used for data entry, storage, and transmission of sensitive information. I've seen security cracking down on any phone with a miniUSB port which many now use to recharge. Does it really make it harder for me to steal information if I felt so inclined? No, but it makes them feel better.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Edit: Sorry, didn't see the part about camera removals not being good enough.

If Apple is planning a business version that includes Active Sync support among other things, they may consider releasing a camera-less one as well. Right now the iPhone is a consumer targeted product. But it's only been out for 6 months so the next 6 months may tell if they want to get into the business sector.