Safari - Multiple Page Browsing

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Why do multiple pages refresh after a few minutes of browsing in another window? This is sooooo frustrating. Pages should be able to be left open indefinitely without losing the info on the page, whether you have multiple pages open, navigate away from Safari, or stop using your phone for a prolonged period of time.

What gives?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Never seen this. Can you link to a specific example?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I'm not sure how to link to an example since it happens on my phone, but I'll try to explain it better.

Say I have a page open in Safari, and then I want to look something up on google. I'll click the little button on the bottom right and then click new page.

I'll then browse around on google, visiting a few different pages.

After I find the info I want, I click that little button on the bottom right again to navigate back to my original page.

But there is no original page, it is just a blank white page that must refresh after I navigate to it. All the data or login information is reset, acting as if this is the first time I've viewed the page.

Hope this makes a little more sense.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SurfRat View Post

Why do multiple pages refresh after a few minutes of browsing in another window? This is sooooo frustrating. Pages should be able to be left open indefinitely without losing the info on the page, whether you have multiple pages open, navigate away from Safari, or stop using your phone for a prolonged period of time.

What gives?

I agree I would think that this data should be cached until the page is closed but that is not the case.

I am with you I would like to see this changed if it could be.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    surfratsurfrat Posts: 341member
    Is this a hardware issue, or something that could be fixed through a simple software update?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    I agree that multiple pages currently reload after a certain time period and this is frustrating. For the most part, it reduces the advantages of having multiple pages. We might as well just keep one page open at a time, since they must reload anyways.

As it stands now, this increases the wait time to redownload the same data for a webpage, increases the traffic along the network (without the user manually hitting refresh), and overall frustrates the user making a relatively slow internet experience - slower.

As Gizmo-xl said, the data should be cached instead, until that page is closed. This could be resolved by updating the software, not the hardware. For what it's worth, I've added this suggestion to my thread named "iPhone 2008 software improvements", at http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=82034
  • Reply 6 of 6
    taztaz Posts: 74member
    My phone does this, but only if I have spent some time surfing the other open page/pages. Seems to me that its a memory management issue. As youre surfing the active page and using up the available memory seem like eventually there will come a time that a decision needs to be made wrt which piece of data to keep and the default is to keep the data necessary for the active pages and dump the passive pages. Maybe a software fix, but it may require more memory allocation to Safari.