"A Special Message to Windows Users"

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
"Welcome."

I went to my local Apple store today to check out the new iMac. It's a thing of beauty. But you knew that already.

Of further interest was a little 8-page giveaway brochure the stores are distributing, touting the machine's features and showing lots of pretty pictures. Then at the end is a 2-page spread titled "A special message to Windows users: Welcome." It begins:

"Over the years, there have been more than a few misconceptions about Macs. Let's take a look at some of the more popular ones."

It then proceeds to list six "myths" about the Mac, with a response to each. I'll give you a precis, but I haven't time to copy the whole thing; maybe I'll scan the pages later if anyone is interested.

"1. Everyone uses Windows."

Lists the various creative/scientific fields in which Macs dominate, and mentions that "our two most recent Presidents, a Democrat and a Republican, both use Macs."

"2. Macs don't work with PCs."

Explains MS Office, instant messaging, etc. Obviously they really need to get the word out on this.

"3. The software I need isn't available for Macs."

15,000 available titles. Go to Apple.com and see for yourself.

"4. Macs don't run Microsoft Office."

Duh. Mentions that Office v.X "is according to the company that made it ... actually better than its Windows cousin."

"5. Windows has caught up with the Mac."

"Windows XP is their best effort to date. But Mac OS X has sent them back to the drawing boards." Includes some complimentary blurbs.

"6. Macs are far easier to use than PCs."

"Guilty as charged."

What struck me about this was that it's exactly the kind of thing everyone around here says Apple needs to do: address PC users' misconceptions and explain why Apple presents a more elegant and people-friendly solution. And they're doing it just as they're releasing what's arguably the best computer (in terms of price/performance ratio) they've ever made.

I think Apple should run this as an ad in Newsweek, Time, Rolling Stone, National Geographic, Cosmo, the New Yorker, everywhere. This is the message Apple needs to send.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    They should be walking the malls passing those out!
  • Reply 2 of 7
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    That's what it says at <a href="http://www.apple.com/myths"; target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/myths</A>; too.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    nonsuchnonsuch Posts: 293member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>That's what it says at <a href="http://www.apple.com/myths"; target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/myths</a>; too.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yep, that's it. Could'a saved myself some typing eh?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    geeze...it's amazing that in today's society that you still have to point this stuff out to people. I guess I'm just an electronics fan just like many of you. I mean I would be embarrased to say something like "Macs don't talk to PC's" that would make the typical person sound so stupid.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    i'm glad to see apple go on the offensive for a change. i realize that they've been in a compromised position recently since they absolutely needed office v.X and IE 5.1 for OSX, but now that these products are released, it's time to start aggressively going after wintel uses and dispelling the myths that have slowed mac adoption.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Very cool! I hope Apple grows some balls and takes it to M$. Shortly, there will be a few more viable alternatives to Office, so if M$ gets ballsy and thinks they can deal with the lost revenue from pulling Office for mac, it won't matter.

OW is a better browser and will get faster. mail.app is a great app and there's Endura and such. The only rewal stickler would be WMP, especially if some of those office apps live up to their billing.

Then Apple can be free to bash M$ as we users do on a daily basis!!
  • Reply 7 of 7
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Dubbya and Clinton use/used Macs?