mail just awfully slow...

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I was wondering if anyone has serious performance issues with mail. When i start mail up on the iphone I have all my mails, but the moment I go in and click on one it goes to the loading/spinning circle screen and stays there for a minimum of 5 minuts ( I get frustrated and shut off the iphone ).

I know that this isn't an issue with Edge since I'm on Wifi in the house and have good signal strength...

any ideas anyone?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AEV1 View Post

I was wondering if anyone has serious performance issues with mail. When i start mail up on the iphone I have all my mails, but the moment I go in and click on one it goes to the loading/spinning circle screen and stays there for a minimum of 5 minuts ( I get frustrated and shut off the iphone ).

I know that this isn't an issue with Edge since I'm on Wifi in the house and have good signal strength...

any ideas anyone?

Who are you using for email? Are you using Gmail? If so there are 2 different ways to get your mail from them to your iPhone, IMAP and POP. One may work better than the other for you. If you just click Gmail when setting up your iPhone it uses POP, which isn't as good. You might know all this already... it could help though.

you can check out how to set this up on Gmail. It's easy. I don't know off hand if other email providers have this. I imagine so...
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Another possibility....

It seems the iPhone doesn't actually STORE attachments on the phone... every time you select an email it will re-download any attachment that might be in it. If it's a big one then Edge will give you plenty of time to go get a coffee.

Of course, if the email you selected has no attachments, then this isn't your problem... mine will get a simple text eMail on the screen in a matter of 5 seconds or so. (using .mac, or gmail imap, or my isp pop accounts ... all perform about the same on the iPhone.)
  • Reply 3 of 5
    aev1aev1 Posts: 10member
    Shutterrelease , KingOfSomehwereHot,

Thanks for answering - For email I'm using Mac Mail as the default provider ( I have yahoo but I dont' synch it with the iphone ) - regarding the other point of not storing apps, I have tried moving my files to a subfolder ( for large attachments ) but no luck.

it's a shame that I can't truss the output of mail to see what's going on
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Good luck, Post something if it gets fixed.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    aev1aev1 Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shutterrelease View Post

Good luck, Post something if it gets fixed.

Figured it out - in mail settings I had two instances of teh same account and although it downloaded the mail headers it seemed to get confused and not show the body. On deleting all the accounts on teh iphone and then resynching all is ok

cheers