Network Printer, Scanner, Copier: Suggestions for small home office?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am needing advice from people who have a printer, scanner, copier, (duplex would be nice) that functions over a network and of course works with Macs easily.

Wireless function would be preferable but I will take what I can get.

Color would be nice too but not mandatory.

Any suggestions for something that is going to work well and have a decent price tag?

There will be no heavy print volume on this and the scanner just has to be good enough.

TIA

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    I use an HP Photosmart c5180 at home - works flawlessly with my PC's and Mac. The only thing bad about it, are the inks, but what are gonna do (besides buy them online).

And HP likes to install gobs of software too.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Now, It's just a printer, so you'd need a separate scanner... but I'm very pleased with my Samsung laser printer. Mine is the USB model and I have it plugged into an Airport Express to attain wireless function. Works flawlessly with the Macs. Cost is $98.

They also now make an ethernet model as well as a color version...

It's fast, toner is cheaper (per page) than ink, and it's never failed for me in two years of regular household use.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Yeah, definitely take a laser if color is not mandatory.

I have the impression they're more reliable, not just cheaper per page. The only inkjet I've ever had was unused for a length of time and self-destructed by ink clogging in the nozzles.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

And HP likes to install gobs of software too.

Yeah I have the same or a similar problem with a HP 2510. It has a set up assistant that boots up every time I turn on my Mac. Very annoying. Its like working on a PC with all the crap ware that loads when you boot up a pc.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

Yeah, definitely take a laser if color is not mandatory.

I have the impression they're more reliable, not just cheaper per page. The only inkjet I've ever had was unused for a length of time and self-destructed by ink clogging in the nozzles.

Not all inkjet printers work like that though. HP Deskjets last forever as the print head is built in to the ink cartridge so you're essentially getting a new printer every time you buy a cartridge provided you're not buying cheapo recycled cartridges. My 970Cxi is about 8 years old and prints as well as it did when I bought it.

Previously I'd had Epson Stylus printers which lasted about a year at best before self destructing. Thankfully they always did it within warrantee and not when I really needed it, but you can't work like that. Back then it was expensive too, not like today when often it's cheaper to buy a new printer than the cartridges for your old printer.

For scanners, I've an Epson Perfection 2580. It's a good scanner but Epson's driver software looks like it predates OSX. Horrible. It works well despite it's looks.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    I have had great experience with Canon inkjet printers. Never had a clog nor even a paper jam and I print constantly at work. Even prints CD labels very reliably. The scan functions are great, too, and easy as pie. For the price, these machines tend to be really good as far as I am concerned. My problem has been with Epson inkjets (in the past) and Epson lasers (recent).

Sadly, the Canon all-in-one I use now is not networkable. However, I would say keep your options open to ink jet if there is a networkable model.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    I tend to like Epson print quality. Its nice if you get one with individual cartidges for each color, then you don't have to replace the whole ink cartidge everytime one color runs out.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    I decided against an all in one and purchased a separate copier (Canon PC 1061), scanner (ScanSnap) and printers: HP Deskjet 460, Lexmark C522N and a Canon Pixma 4000. Funny thing is I very seldom print anything any more. Almost everything is scanned to a PDF and all my work flow has been digitized - say to the extent of about 98%.

Guess it depends upon what you do. For me, I find this works very very good. All my documents can be easily exchanged with other Mac users and or Window users. I tend to manage all my work in Circus Ponies NoteBook. The program has a great HTML export feature - which has never once left me having to resend documents to my Window using peers or having them call me because they could not access my files.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The best printer you can get for the Mac right now for it's price is that slightly square (but elegant enough) looking Color Laser HP n model. You'd have to buy a scanner separately though. I'd go that route personally though.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Ok, I am going to go with a scanner and printer. Since I already have a Brother 2070n at home, I will stick with it for now since it would be a waste to have two printers here until color is an absolute must.

Now, as far as scanners go. I have looked at the Snap Scan as it was mentioned above. Anyone with good experience with a Scanner that just automatically scans to PDf to email (networkable) or am I dreaming here?

Thanks!