OS X as default - the good and bad

zozo
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I was thinking about this and came up with a few points. I have many people I know that have bought new Macs in the past year that have OS X on it but they NEVER KNEW it and they just dont care... so I guess the fact that they will HAVE to face OS X now is finally great.

Another good thing is that this will make software developers develop a LOT faster than before since they will HAVE TO HAVE their shit in order ASAP... this also includes driver dev... bless their lazy souls.

So, I guess that is good...

but there are some points I cannot understand on Apple's part.

How is Apple going to sell Mac is Middle Eastern countries (no Arabic nor Hebrew OS yet) and in Eastern Europe/Russia (no cyrillic OS yet either).

I cannot see thousands of people being FORCED to learn English or any other supported language just because Apple has been so slow to have localized languages. Also no south east asian languages supported, etc. I think they are going to be MAJORLY shooting themselves in the foot with this move.

What other negaitive points are there?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by ZO:

<strong>How is Apple going to sell Mac is Middle Eastern countries (no Arabic nor Hebrew OS yet) and in Eastern Europe/Russia (no cyrillic OS yet either).

I cannot see thousands of people being FORCED to learn English or any other supported language just because Apple has been so slow to have localized languages. Also no south east asian languages supported, etc. I think they are going to be contry shooting themselves in the foot with this move.

What other negaitive points are there?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think, Mac OS 9 will continue to be the default OS in those contrys, until Mac OS X supports the languages.

I see no other negative points of any significance.

Newbies should get used to Mac OS X, and experienced users will have no problem switching to Mac OS 9, if they desire.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    Newbies won't know or care about OS 9. They'll just use the default OS which in this case is X. Since the new iMacs have come out Apple really needed to make OS X default. It does not make sense to have their new computers running their old OS.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    xeoxeo Posts: 33member
    Bad: The damn modem bug still exists where connecting gets stalled for some arbitrary, but annoyingly long period of time. It's a major bug for dial-up users (thank God I don't have to use dial-up for everyday internet stuffs).

Maybe the USB modems in the new iMacs get around this somehow. I dunno.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    No further development is expected on the modem software.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott H.:

<strong>No further development is expected on the modem software.</strong><hr></blockquote>

How come?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    It was my understanding that not long ago Louis Gelbarg (who posts on MacNN) was doing some fixes or at least knew of fixes coming down the line for modem users.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Is that the guy that was working on the MP modem bug. That was ages ago. Of course I haven't been to MacNN UBB in a long while.

Like I said. Don't expect any update from Apple.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    xeoxeo Posts: 33member
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott H.:

<strong>No further development is expected on the modem software.</strong><hr></blockquote>Where do you get your info from?

<a href="http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?50@@.ef9dcc0/11"; target="_blank">The long thread of complaining about it on the Apple Discussion boards</a>

<a href="http://www.opensource.apple.com/bugs/X/Serial Family/2691330.html&quot; target="_blank">The page talking about the bug on opensource.apple.com</a>

[quote]A quote from the second link:

&lt;GMT04-Jan-2002 00:52:45GMT&gt; V.M.:

Provided is some feedback from the developer who reported duplicate bug # 2832025. Placing here as an FYI on the severity of this issue -

"This bug is for me a so called SHOWSTOPPER. I have to reboot my

titanium every time after a gcc bootstrap to pull my mail.

So this is not a solution. I'd highly appreciate if you can stress this

problem and solve it asap.

Also, especially over xmas I'm at home and not connected to a permanent line."<hr></blockquote>

This will get fixed... It might get done by Apple, it might get done by the open source community, but it will get fixed and it will be included in an OS update.