AIM for OS X, what's the issue?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Has anyone else had issues with AIM for X? I have what seems like a very strange problem with it. It usually progresses in the fllowing manner: At first, it works normally (if a little slow), then I still receive messages from whomever I am talking to, and they still receive my messages, but my messages do not appear on my screen, then, my messages get lost completely. I type them and hit send, they disappear as if they are being sent, but they show up on neither my screen nor the screen of the person I am talking to.

Has anyone else had this problem? Please help if you can. (I am using the latest version of AIM for X)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Use Adium.

homepage.mac.com/adamiser

Blows the pants off the official AIM client.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    I'm with Jonathan... AOL's IM sucks booty. The only advantages it has are file trasfer, user icons, and properly working info queries. Those are easy to give up when you get the stability and customizability of Adium. Give it a try. You might also like <a href="http://www.epicware.com/fire.html"; target="_blank">Fire</a>.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Yeah, I've been having the same trouble suddenly. Exact same stuff going on too. Having trouble signing on? Seems to be taking longer these days...

Then there's a bug where all the names are grayed out even if the person isn't idle-- a new error to the newest version of AIM. How in the world could this not be an easy fix? Why in the world wasn't there an update the following day? Who in the world was the beta testing group that okayed the software? Why in the world did I think an AOL program would be worth my time??? (Been an AIM slave for years...)
  • Reply 4 of 10
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I haven't had that problem wit AIM. The only problem I have had is that sometimes after a while no sound comes from AIM (also have the problem wit AOL for OS X). The sound is still fine in all other apps when that happens.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    I have to agree with starfleetX Fire is a hell of alot better. And you can use it with other IM clients. Like Yahoo which hasent updated there Mac Version since like os 8.6 or something like that. WTF is up with Yahoo. Even M$ is giving us current SW.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by BMW & Mac Lover:

<strong>I have to agree with starfleetX Fire is a hell of alot better. And you can use it with other IM clients. Like Yahoo which hasent updated there Mac Version since like os 8.6 or something like that. WTF is up with Yahoo. Even M$ is giving us current SW.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Do many people use Yahoo Messenger?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    AIM has Adium, at least.

There seems to be NO decent ICQ client for OS X. Not that I really liked ICQ that much--it's pretty much always been crapware. I never really liked how it worked, anyway.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>

Do many people use Yahoo Messenger?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I would use it in Fire, or stand alone if they would update it to be 10 compatable.

Have you tried Charla? it is a OS 10 yahoo client that I personaly think is the best IM client yet. The Yahoo groups are always talking. It's great.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    hekalhekal Posts: 117member
    Hmm Adium is okay and Fire totally sucks.

Use Proteus.

<a href="http://www.indigofield.com/"; target="_blank">http://www.indigofield.com/</a>;
  • Reply 10 of 10
    bogiebogie Posts: 407member
    What exactly about Fire sucks? It is just as stable and better written than Audium [which isn't bad itself].