Briefly: More sightings of mysterious metallic grey MacBooks

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
As next month's Macworld Expo rapidly approaches, sources are reporting additional sightings of an unfamiliar MacBook model floating around Apple's Cupertino-based campus.

Most recently, a source described a "dark grey" or "gunmetal" colored notebook of slender proportions making the rounds in an area where Apple traditionally conducts stress tests.

Though noticeably thinner but otherwise similar in size to the company's 13-inch MacBooks, the notebook appeared to have a metallic sheen to it, which set it apart from the current black MacBook.

This most recent sighting seems to fall in line with earlier reports that a slender pair of notebooks were making their way around Apple's campus, clad in both traditional and black aluminum enclosures.

Still, there has been no definitive evidence to link these sightings the company's sub-notebook project, which has been detailed (1, 2, 3) by well-respected sources over the past year and is due to culminate early next month with an introduction at the Macworld Expo in San Francisco.

Additionally, it should be noted that sightings of particular colors and enclosures at Apple ahead of a product's release are not always fail-safe indicators of that product's final appearance. Apple is also likely working on more slender consumer MacBooks, which could at times be confused with the upcoming sub-notebook.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 116
    It's about time for a redesign and to achieve a thinner Macbook aluminum would be a prime candidate. Annodized aluminum would alow variations in color that can distinguish Macbooks from Macbook Pro lines. I would bet that thinner Macbooks will drop plastic enclosures.
  • Reply 2 of 116
    Unify MacBook and MacBook Pro line. Pleeeeease. Put them into Al.
  • Reply 3 of 116
    I suspect more that the Macbooks will start to match the colored iPods. Red anodized aluminum Macbooks all around!
  • Reply 4 of 116
    They were for 15.3" dawgs... a gun metal colour for MACBOOK PRO is coming, not macbook or the sub notebook... but MACBOOK PRO. I know this because I was there.
  • Reply 5 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wessan View Post

I think that's what is going to happen. They dropped white plastic in favor of aluminum for the iMac, now they're going to do it for the Macbook.
  • Reply 6 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

I think that's what is going to happen. They dropped white plastic in favor of aluminum for the iMac, now they're going to do it for the Macbook.

An all aluminum lineup though? I think that might start to seem a little dull. Although if they threw in black anodized aluminum, that might help.
  • Reply 7 of 116
    I just bought a new Macbook last weekend!

I love the plastic encloure so the looks of the new line up its

not going to be much of a concern. But, does anybody know

if the new Macbooks are going to have more advanced techonology

like an integraded memory card or a faster processor???

If it does i'm going to be sad
  • Reply 8 of 116
    I think MacWorld will be a major Mac event this year. Unlike the 2007 event which focused on the iPhone, Apple will direct more attention to the Mac in 2008.
  • Reply 9 of 116
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elt_rbd View Post

Don't be so hasty to be sad. There is nothing special available, hardware-wise, to make the Macbook so much more advanced than the one you have got now.

Only open card is the graphics. But as of now, there is zero indication that Apple would move the Macbook to dedicated graphics so soon, if ever.
  • Reply 10 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elt_rbd View Post

I just bought a new Macbook last weekend!

I love the plastic encloure so the looks of the new line up its

not going to be much of a concern. But, does anybody know

if the new Macbooks are going to have more advanced techonology

like an integraded memory card or a faster processor???

Typically, when Apple upgrades their computers, they become less (not more) advanced than the models they replace. If you're familiar with "Moore's Law," you may be aware that the speed of processors slows down by around half every 18 months. In addition, storage space decreases by half every year! So rest assured, whatever you already own is easily going to trounce whatever new products Apple has in the pipeline.

That is the great thing about buying technology: whatever you buy today will be faster and cheaper than whatever you can buy down the road!

So turn that frown upside down, my friend, and enjoy your new mac. Spec-wise, it's all down hill from here!!!!
  • Reply 11 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

As next month's Macworld Expo rapidly approaches, sources are reporting additional sightings of an unfamiliar MacBook model floating around Apple's Cupertino-based campus.

Most recently, a source described a "dark grey" or "gunmetal" colored notebook of slender proportions making the rounds in an area where Apple traditionally conducts stress tests.

So, are you saying that someone from inside spilled the beans directly to AI?
  • Reply 12 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebeat View Post

They were for 15.3" dawgs... a gun metal colour for MACBOOK PRO is coming, not macbook or the sub notebook... but MACBOOK PRO. I know this because I was there.

OK then, you certainly can tell us something more.
  • Reply 13 of 116
    Thanks a lot fo all your help

I was already thinking of returning

my Macbook and wait until MWSF

but I won't

Plus I really like it
  • Reply 14 of 116
    This makes sense. Doing a (very) thin laptop in plastic is not very practical, it's just not rigid enough. Aluminium is stronger and dissipates heat better, a serious problem in this size.

Other practicalities mean that the following design decisions would have to be made for a sub notebook, if it is the rumoured 1/2" think, or about 13mm thick:

- no optical drive, that's obvious. An SD or other card slot would make sense as removable media. CDs are going the way of floppy disks and flash is replacing them.

- no removable SSD drive, but flash soldered directly to the motherboard. It makes no sense installing drive modules since they take up a lot more room and are just another component Apple would have to manufacture or purchase. Apple has huge buying power in flash chips and they would most likely have developed their own ASIC to improve read/write throughput performance for flash, which lags disks badly. I can see maybe a 32G low end and a 64G high end model.

- a port concentrator, but not a dock. I think they might go with a single plug for external video, firewire, sound in and out and ethernet, maybe with USB on board in mini size. The prospective thickness of the bottom of the laptop, probably around 8 or 9mm would make having normal ports difficult.

- no removable battery, or at least not as we currently know it. This may mean that to replace the battery you need to unscrew the bottom of the device, on a par with replacing memory. Apple have a history of limiting battery access for the sake of a few millimetres, I can't see this being any different.

- the processor will most likely be a slower version due to heat limitations, but not the ultra-low power versions. Apple want to maximise battery life, but not at the expense of making a machine that is usable. A fan is a no-brainer.

- the screen will probably be 12". 13" is more practical, but would make the machine less attractive compared to a MacBook.

A lot of people in these forums have pretty wacky ideas of what is possible and practical and also quite often represent fairly niche buyers. Apple very clearly is going after large mainstream markets these days. That means no 10" 'ultra-portables', no tablets (although a larger iPod touch is probably on the cards) or hybrid models. Apple designs for what most people want and need, with the minimum of fuss or gimmicks.
  • Reply 15 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

sources are reporting additional sightings of an unfamiliar MacBook model floating around Apple's Cupertino-based campus.

Sweet! so that's how Apple are going to get around the heat most of us have to endure on our laps. Floating MacBooks!
  • Reply 16 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

Sweet! so that's how Apple are going to get around the heat most of us have to endure on our laps. Floating MacBooks!

Yeah, but for now they are hunting the spy. Helmet on and run.
  • Reply 17 of 116
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wessan View Post

I don't think it makes sense, I'm not sure there's enough separating them. The desktop units are quite clearly delineated, it's much less so with the notebooks.
  • Reply 18 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't think it makes sense, I'm not sure there's enough separating them. The desktop units are quite clearly delineated, it's much less so with the notebooks.

It would make sense from a thermal standpoint. The aluminum may be almost a necessity if they shaved off thickness and increased speed.
  • Reply 19 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amac4me View Post

I think MacWorld will be a major Mac event this year. Unlike the 2007 event which focused on the iPhone, Apple will direct more attention to the Mac in 2008.

Agreed. I think Leopard has much to do with new tech coming out this year and next ('08 & '09). Seems to be more under the hood upgrades to set a new foundation for new tech.

I just hope the sub MB has a backlit keyboard. Without getting flogged for the comment; i do a lot of typing in poor light and that feature would be great in all MBs. I would LOVE an Apple desktop keyboard with the same!!.

Anyway, hoping the iPhone gets more storage and the sub MB is here next month.
  • Reply 20 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

It would make sense from a thermal standpoint. The aluminum may be almost a necessity if they shaved off thickness and increased speed.

The plastic looks cooler, though.

Perhaps Apple is experimenting with a new material altogether, like organic hand-milked spider silk, which is flexible and strong. Or perhaps they have decided to forgo solids altogether in favor of a gaseous exterior which would, of course, be even better from a thermal standpoint.