Using External Display: DVI or VGA?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi,

I connected my external 19" Acer to my 20" white iMac via mini-DVI to VGA cable and the external display just looks a bit blurry. The iMac is running 1680x1050 and the Acer is set to it's native 1280x1024. I'm wondering if getting a mini-DVI to DVI cable would make the screen any sharper.

I got the VGA cable because I have my Windows PC connected via DVI to the Acer and I only have the VGA plug available.

Will a straight DVI connection make it that much better?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by polvadis View Post

Hi,

I connected my external 19" Acer to my 20" white iMac via mini-DVI to VGA cable and the external display just looks a bit blurry. The iMac is running 1680x1050 and the Acer is set to it's native 1280x1024. I'm wondering if getting a mini-DVI to DVI cable would make the screen any sharper.

I got the VGA cable because I have my Windows PC connected via DVI to the Acer and I only have the VGA plug available.

Will a straight DVI connection make it that much better?

I would think so based on my past experience with a 19" monitor (not an Acer though). When I went DVI, it was night and day.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    DVI

VGA is an old, analog technology. DVI is digital and the quality is much better.