Add more power to 10.5's screen sharing

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
http://www.macworld.com/article/1310...harepower.html

Really handy info, that will make browsing for your shared-screen macs a lot easier!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Wow, that's really useful, especially the added toolbar buttons. That makes it as useful as Apple Remote Desktop for me.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Thanks for that tip, that's some great extra functionality!

Curious to find out at work tomorrow if i can control a pc with a vnc-server with the screen sharing app. Anyone know whether this is possible?

Oh, what would be really useless but nevertheless really great is if there would be some way to add some of the iChat Screen Sharing core-animation goodness to the standard screen-sharing app.

IMHO the best Eye-Candy in all of Leopard
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dutch pear View Post

Curious to find out at work tomorrow if i can control a pc with a vnc-server with the screen sharing app. Anyone know whether this is possible?

Yes you can although there are issues with the vnc servers I've tried on Vista such as TightVNC. Sometimes the screen doesn't refresh fully leaving debris behind when you move a window. I'm sure that'll get fixed at some point though. It wasn't an issue with XP PCs.

Or you could just use Microsoft's Remote Desktop tool from http://www.microsoft.com/mac/otherpr...edesktopclient
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Yes you can although there are issues with the vnc servers I've tried on Vista such as TightVNC. Sometimes the screen doesn't refresh fully leaving debris behind when you move a window. I'm sure that'll get fixed at some point though. It wasn't an issue with XP PCs.

Or you could just use Microsoft's Remote Desktop tool from http://www.microsoft.com/mac/otherpr...edesktopclient

Good to hear. Vista is not allowed at my workplace yet, so it's all xp at the moment. I tried the microsoft remote desktop app but couldn't get it to connect, so right now I'm using tightvnc on the pc and jollyfastvnc on the mac, which works all right, but not remotely as nice as the screen sharing app.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dutch pear View Post

Good to hear. Vista is not allowed at my workplace yet, so it's all xp at the moment. I tried the microsoft remote desktop app but couldn't get it to connect, so right now I'm using tightvnc on the pc and jollyfastvnc on the mac, which works all right, but not remotely as nice as the screen sharing app.

Incidentally, if you know the IP address of the PC you're trying to connect to, the quickest way I found before these hacks was to just type vnc://111.222.333.444 in Safari (replace numbers with IP address). That launches the screen sharing app.

If you've a few common addresses to vnc to, a local web page is handy with links in for each PC.