ipod + tv + external hard drive?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
A bit of backstory: I currently have an iMac, but no iPod. I will soon be buying a new iBook with a pretty small screen, and selling my desktop machine to a friend. Therefore, I'm left in a bit of a quandary as to the best way to watch my large collection of TV shows purchased from iTunes Music Store. I am strongly considering getting an iPod soon anyway, if for no other reason than to transport my music collection when my husband and I move back from Denmark to the US, without having to move all of my CDs.

What my googling has thus far turned up: I have found several tutorials about how to get a video iPod to play video on a TV, so I don't need any help there.

What my googling has not yet turned up: Information about whether iPods can be connected via their USB/dock functionality to an external hard drive, and whether I can then use the iPod to play video on the external HD on a TV.

So, do I just need to invest in the hugest-capacity iPod, or can I get a smaller-capacity iPod and force it to act as an intermediary between a hard drive and a tv?