Printing from the iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
We just got a wireless printer for our house; can the iPhone print directly to it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    No, the iPhone can't print.

Might be a feature worth adding. Send feedback to Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    No. It is very easy to make a note and email it to a desktop/laptop connected to the print network and print that way though. Not really much reason to directly print from the phone, everything interesting on it from a print standpoint either syncs to a computer directly or is excellent email fodder.

I wouldn't hold my breath for printing either. By design your mobile phone will most likely not be near a printer you are allowed to access unless you are near your own network at home. Then sync and print isn't very difficult and much faster.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Not really much reason to directly print from the phone,

I attend a small law school at night. My MacBook Pro has saved my bacon more than once when thirty of us were fighting over five workstations in the library, in order to print out our last minute edits off of so many USB pen drives and email accounts. All I had to do was fire up my MBP, log on to the wireless network, and select from a list of readily-available network printers just in time to meet the deadline. It's the sort of stuff commercials are made of, really.

However, as much as I like having my notebook to play chess on and read RSS feeds while my legal writing professor waxes eloquent on his latest ambulance chase, I have come up against a predicament. Lugging my most priceless possession back and forth to class is neither totally necessary or advisable. In fact, I've decided to stop doing it for fear of it breaking or being stolen, which unfortunately I've come to realize is far too likely for my comfort level. The risks outweigh the benefits.

Of course, being completely cut off from my information umbilical isn't a pleasing idea, either, especially on the nights when I have assignments due. It occurred to me that an iPhone might be the perfect solution. There are several ways I could access my Word files on it, after all. Problem solved! Except, as you know, there is absolutely no printing support on the iPhone.

I can understand why Apple wouldn't rush to include this feature, since under normal circumstances the iPhone probably makes printing less necessary, but sometimes you just HAVE to produce a paper copy of that document you're carrying, and in those cases printing over WiFi becomes a killer app. This is why I would love to see some basic printing functionality included on the iPhone.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I with Amber and skidude, printing capability from the iPhone is a killer function that should be added.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I with Amber and skidude, printing capability from the iPhone is a killer function that should be added.

There is now an app in the app store that enables you to print, click the link to check it out - it is great and works really well!

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...299423224&mt=8
  • Reply 6 of 8
    that would be a great feature. but, impractical.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bobbyz View Post

There is now an app in the app store that enables you to print, click the link to check it out - it is great and works really well!

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...299423224&mt=8

Better yet, here's a free one from HP that doesn't require a helper app on your PC -- it prints directly to an HP printer using Bonjour:

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...299531647&mt=8
  • Reply 8 of 8
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorya View Post

No, the iPhone can't print.

Might be a feature worth adding. Send feedback to Apple.

OR...

http://pleasefixtheiphone.com/