what mac for a 42" plasma

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
my friend is fighting macular degeneration and has a winbloz system with a 42" plasma screen monitor so he can see print and websites. he wants to go mac, could a macbook pro drive this?

i don't know the resolution it's got to be 3-5 years old. if he could with MBP then he could video conference with his grandchildren/ family.

what is a reasonable set up for him. i told him how i used my mb video chat with my children while on a business trip to chicago "ok show me your homwork, read that book to me" (that really helped my 4 and 6 yr olds separation axiety. he just wants to do as much as he can while he can.

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

my friend is fighting macular degeneration and has a winbloz system with a 42" plasma screen monitor so he can see print and websites. he wants to go mac, could a macbook pro drive this?

i don't know the resolution it's got to be 3-5 years old. if he could with MBP then he could video conference with his grandchildren/ family.

what is a reasonable set up for him. i told him how i used my mb video chat with my children while on a business trip to chicago "ok show me your homwork, read that book to me" (that really helped my 4 and 6 yr olds separation axiety. he just wants to do as much as he can while he can.

thanks

i'm sure a macbook pro would do fine.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Yeah, a MBP would be fine but it seems a Mini would work well when paired with a webcam to do the same thing for far less.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    i'm going to have him go to an apple store and try an imac 24, or get the MBP would it be more dependent on the processor or the video card. what minimum imac or MPB specs would be needed or what specs for best performance??

does the MBP come with the connections and cables for the hook up with the 42" and what type of connection on the 42" plasma should he look for. i just want to make sure he has the appropriate connections on the plasma before i suggest he change

can an iMac share the 42 plasma.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    ak1808ak1808 Posts: 108member
    All current Macs have more than enough power to drive a 3-5 year old 42" plasma.

The Plasma needs VGA or DVI input though. Without it, you are stranded.

iMac and all Macbooks can share the screens, yes.

Depending on the type of input on the plasma and the Mac you buy, a connection cable might be necessary, like "DVI-to-VGA adapter" or "Mini-DVI-to-DVI". Just check the inputs, then ask for a cable that supports either DVI or VGA for the Mac you choose in the store.