Home Theater in a Box Setup Questions.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Here's my dilemma:
  • Sharp LC-46D43U 46-inch Aquos Flat Screen LCD TV

• Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4250 HDC Cable Box

• Sony DAV-HDX500 DVD Home Theater System

I have no experience hooking these things up. I've assembled everything and it works fine when playing DVDs, but I get no sound from the TV. What cables do I need to connect everything?

Appreciate the help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    regreg Posts: 832member
    I just helped my brother with his set up. Very smart when it comes to accounting, contracts and numbers. Put almost any type of hardware or technology in his hands be ready for trouble.

For you:

use the HD component cables from the cable box to the TV

use RCA cables from the TV audio out ( red and white) to the HDX500 audio in marked (TV)

now just select the TV function on the HDX500 to get the sound out of the theater system
  • Reply 2 of 3
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Got it to work! Thanks!

Wasn't sure whether you meant the "TV audio out" on the Sharp Aquos LCD TV or on the Cable Box. Turns out it's the cable box. Works perfectly!

Question: I don't want HDMI because I heard there are closed captioning problems, but should I invest in some optical audio cables? What's the difference in sound quality? Is it CD vs. MP3 or greater? I can't really tell the difference between CDs and MP3s. Are there other advantages to using optical cables as opposed to the RCA connections?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    regreg Posts: 832member
    The optical cable is better, less interference therefore better sound. In reality if you are not running long audio cables you won't hear the difference. I use the component for the cable box to the tv because I have other equipment that gets connected up to it. Good quality cables of either type make the most difference. Again unless you have a long distance, 40 feet or longer run, lots of interference, then you can use which ever type of cable you like with no difference in quality.