Speaker suggestions for 20" iMac?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm in the market for some new speakers for my 20" aluminium iMac. The internal ones aren't too bad, but I use it for music quite a lot and require something a little better.

I have a budget of around £150 and quite fancied the (URL="http://www.podspeakers.com/Products/Micropod_SE_Active.aspx"]Micropod SE Active [/URL].

Any experience or other suggestions? I'm looking for something stylish with fairly decent quality. I used to have a set of Creature IIs which sounded okay, and I was tempted by the Soundstick IIs although I'm not sold on the design. Thoughts on any new speakers I may have missed?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    The Creative GigaWorks T20 speakers sound amazing. They have amazing bass for a 2.0 system.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Dig...8786531&sr=8-1

That's a little expensive. It should be around 110 pounds, but the Logitech z-5500 is the best speaker set out there imho.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Klipsch 2.1 THX certified 2.1 PC speakers

These things sound GREAT and are now about $99 US

There are a similer set of Klipsch "promedia" that are round, and NOT thx certified...DO NOT GET THESE...Get ONLY the Promedia2.1 THX certified ones, they are REALLY great on highs and have really good mid responce and, of course, the great bass that would be expected fropm any Klipsch Woofer
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Do you have a home stereo in the same room?

The soundstiks and Creature both sound good for computer speakers but if you already have a great stereo system in the room you can hook it up for less money and better sound. I'm always surprised people overlook this solution. It can sometimes be as cheap as a $10 RCA jack to headphone jack adapter... If you're stereo's on the other side of the room there are good wireless setups for this...

That's just my 2cents
  • Reply 5 of 9
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    Thanks for the suggestions folks. There are some nice alternatives and I've added a few bookmarks, but I'm still leaning towards the Micropods right now.

My stereo is in the living room beside the Mac mini and hence not in the study with the iMac so I think I'm going to stick with speakers rather than a micro hi-fi setup
  • Reply 6 of 9
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    A silver version of these should be out soon, I'd get them.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    mzaslovemzaslove Posts: 519member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

A silver version of these should be out soon, I'd get them.

Other than the fact they sound like mush strained through a tin can, I guess they're okay.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mzaslove View Post

Other than the fact they sound like mush strained through a tin can, I guess they're okay.

Why, did you hear them?

I like their simplicity, and the fact that they don't have to plugger into a wall. Just "one" Firewire lead in the back of the iMac for both of them.

(smart ass)
  • Reply 9 of 9
    mzaslovemzaslove Posts: 519member
    Yeah, awhile back when I was traveling all over the place and I wanted self-powered speakers to keep things simple. I sent the first pair back (thinking they were a lemon) -- but the second set came and were no better, so....

How 'bout you?