Good "Panorama" software?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hey,

Do you have any recommendation on a good "Panorama" software for the Mac? (that stitches multiple adjacent photos into one)

If it works with iPhoto - even better

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    regreg Posts: 832member
    I use Canon's Photostitch, it comes with some of canon's cameras. Very easy to use, you can import it into iPhoto easily. Another way is with Quicktime VR. Here is a page from Apple that shows some of the software that can make what you want. I use to merge photos in Photoshop 7 but upgrading busted Photoshop and I can do what I need without upgrading with Adobe.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    i've tried a few including photoshop's built-in stitching function. the most accurate one that i've found is ptgui.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    lirandlirand Posts: 174member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reg View Post

I use Canon's Photostitch, it comes with some of canon's cameras. Very easy to use, you can import it into iPhoto easily. Another way is with Quicktime VR. Here is a page from Apple that shows some of the software that can make what you want. I use to merge photos in Photoshop 7 but upgrading busted Photoshop and I can do what I need without upgrading with Adobe.

How can I get Canon's Photo Stitch? I've got a Canon camera but I can't find its installation CDs...
  • Reply 4 of 12
    It came on the install disks for both the 20D and 10D that I bought. The Canon software was EOS Capture, EOS Viewer Utility and PhotoStitch. They also gave Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0. I took a look and can not find anyplace that has the PhotoStitch download. All of the canon sites have updaters for photostitch.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

Quote:

It came on the install disks for both the 20D and 10D that I bought. The Canon software was EOS Capture, EOS Viewer Utility and PhotoStitch. They also gave Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0. I took a look and can not find anyplace that has the PhotoStitch download. All of the canon sites have updaters for photostitch.

Never mind. Found it
  • Reply 6 of 12
    The only problem I have with PhotoStitch is with some colors. Because of light, backgrounds do not always have a gradual change. To reduce this problem it is better to have more overlaps, more pictures in the stitch. As for the angle using a regular tripod it all depends on your lens. The best cheapest work around is with a Tripod Head. I have a friend that is a realtor. He uses it in some houses. It is quick and since he uses only one lens he only has to figure the height of the tripod. Changing the camera angle is very easy.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Try PanoEdit (www.panoedit.com)
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OlgaKa View Post

Try PanoEdit

I'm sure 2007 will take that into consideration.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

What focal length should I use

You want as little wide-angle distortion as possible ('pin-cushion' or 'barrel' distortion effect) because that complicates lining up the separate exposures in the pano. So use a medium focal length: between 80 and 110mm.

Quote:

and at how many degree increments should I rotate the tripod head for best results?

Make the next exposure overlap the previous one by about 30%. More exposures are better than less.

Also I recommend shooting in portrait mode (camera tilted 90 degrees) as you want as much 'sky' and 'foreground' in the pano set as possible since panos are inherently very wide. You can always crop later if you want. You can't 'add' sky and foreground later...
  • Reply 10 of 12
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Microsoft Photosynth. Why? It stitches without a single user click. It just works. I only wish it had a Mac version and it allowed you to keep the Synths locally. www.Photosynth.net. Check it out. I have to say, I love Microsoft Research.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    ptgui and panotour pro

you can visit my web page

http://panoramatik.com/sanal-tur.aspx