Finally discovered how to drag text!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
When I first started using OS X I was extremely annoyed by the built-in text-engine's inability to drag text. After a while I discovered that it was indeed possible to drag a selected portion of text, seemingly at random. Now I've finally discovered why. You can all feel free to leave "Kick-me" notes on my back now, but it really took me one week after full migration to OS X to discover how to select, click-and-hold-a-split-second and THEN drag the portion of text!

My point with this topic? err, none.. I'm just so happy right now that the sh!t works! YEAH! I'm dragging text like a mad MF, baby!

Peace out..

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    kaboomkaboom Posts: 286member
    Why they changed this in OSX, I'll never know.

I don't think anyone was complaining that text dragging was too hard because it was instantaneous.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    It's more of a Cocoa vs Carbon thing.

Carbon is select, instant drag.

Cocoa is select, hold then drag.

IMO the Carbon way could be annoying in some instances, but its absolutely great for progs like BBEdit where I often drag text from place to place within a document (its really annoying when you try to do this in Cocoa apps like ProjectBuilder). There are other differences between Carbon and Cocoa behavoir, hopefully one day they will behave the same( and I hope they chose the right way ).
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Just out of curiosity, when would the carbon way be annoying? If you know how it works, all you have to do is click, then click again and make a new selection within the old one. I far more often want to drag the text than make a new selection within the old one.

I agree the Cocoa way is pretty slick, but it'll take some getting used to. And it will add weeks in click-and-holding to the programmer's life...
  • Reply 4 of 4
    nitzernitzer Posts: 115member
    The cocoa way is more "correct". It eliminates the accidental text drag. Yeah, it bugged me at first but I'm over it.