.Mac

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I am going to be purchasing an Apple Macbook after the Macworld announcement in January.

I want to know if .Mac is a good program and is simple to use. My parents will also be using it, so it has to be very user-friendly. I also took a look on Apple's website and saw the demo's. So far it looks promising, but I would rather find out from an actual user than just a demo.

Is it really worth the money? And is it fun to use?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sansa11` View Post

I am going to be purchasing an Apple Macbook after the Macworld announcement in January.

I want to know if .Mac is a good program and is simple to use. My parents will also be using it, so it has to be very user-friendly. I also took a look on Apple's website and saw the demo's. So far it looks promising, but I would rather find out from an actual user than just a demo.

Is it really worth the money? And is it fun to use?

I'm in the same situation as you - buyin a MacBook Pro afterMacWorld Expo and like you, i am considering if .mac is worth it. is there anyone out there who can help us.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by michael.nes View Post

I'm in the same situation as you - buyin a MacBook Pro afterMacWorld Expo and like you, i am considering if .mac is worth it. is there anyone out there who can help us.

lol, me too.

My thoughts is this. You get $30 off if you buy with Mac, right? But don't you get a 30-day trial with the Mac anyway? That's your $30 right there, and if you don't like it, voila, costs nothing. And if you do, takes less than a few minutes is my guess. Just do it when the trial is up.

At least, that's how I see it.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -Nova- View Post

lol, me too.

My thoughts is this. You get $30 off if you buy with Mac, right? But don't you get a 30-day trial with the Mac anyway? That's your $30 right there, and if you don't like it, voila, costs nothing. And if you do, takes less than a few minutes is my guess. Just do it when the trial is up.

At least, that's how I see it.

Some will tell you no, you can get all the same services or better for free, but I like .Mac. It is easy to set-up and, from a user point of view, it is painless on a Mac.

If you are wanting sophisticated web-hosting then this is not it. But if you like the idea of easy-to-use, integrated, "just works" web services then I think .Mac is hard to beat.

Definitely get it with your new Mac to take advantage of the discount. Then after your first year, if you still want to keep the service, buy it through Amazon for less than Apple sells it. They usually put it on sale around this time of year. Just save the registration number until you need it and then it will start your next year of service when you input it.

Enjoy your new Macs.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    I dropped .Mac a year after they started charging for it. I recently renewed it again with the release of .Mac 5.0. The e-mail sucks big time. But the other features (Backup, Sync, 10 GB of disk space, Photo sharing, etc.) make it a reasonable service...

Dave
  • Reply 5 of 9
    I have used .mac since the beginning of time and guess I enjoy it. I have never had any real problems.

It is easy to work with and it integrates smoothly, which is more than worth the cost.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    cyloncylon Posts: 126member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

I dropped .Mac a year after they started charging for it. I recently renewed it again with the release of .Mac 5.0. The e-mail sucks big time. But the other features (Backup, Sync, 10 GB of disk space, Photo sharing, etc.) make it a reasonable service...

Dave

I've always wondered what people think sucks about .Mac email. I've been using it for several years and have had virtually no problems. I have a work email account also through someone else. I get virtually no spam with .Mac, my work email gets at least 20 a day.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    I've been using .mac for about 5 years. If you have more than one mac it's worth the annual fee for me just to keep my bookmarks, address books, and calendars in sync among your various computers. That part of it I find works very well. The e-mail part of it is good in that it's IMAP, so if you have multiple computers anything you do in your e-mail on one comp is automatically reflected on the others. But I find .mac e-mail slow and the server goes down more often than I can tolerate, so now I use FastMail, which is also IMAP-based, and has a very small annual fee, but is super-fast and super-reliable. I've tried several times to get off .mac and replace it with alternate services that do the same thing (see for example, NotMac), but so far for one reason or another they've all fallen short for me and I've gone back to .mac (e.g., NotMac didn't work with Leopard the last time I tried to use it). This is all of course my own subjective experience and opinion.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Why is .Mac so slow? I would go with it, if my iWeb sites would load in a reasonable amount of time. People I send to my sites say they look nice, but load so slowly that they get aggravated and give up before seeing what's there.

Are accounts that are paid for any faster than the 60-day trial accounts?

-Switchy
  • Reply 9 of 9
    I LOVE .mac, here is a review article I posted a while back.

Is .Mac Worth it