Activision, what the Heck were you thinking?!?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
As a few you of you probably recall, my children are in a language immersion program where their schooling occurs all day (90%) in Spanish. This Christmas they talked me into buying them each a Nintendo DS. So me being the father I am, I of course have to get my guilt penance back out of it by looking for something educational for it. I've been told the DS has loads of educational software and so I look for something to help with Spanish.

I run across My Spanish Coach which appears to be quite good.

However then I run across this spectacularly terrible and racist turd, Spanish for Everyone.

As you can see the first review made me go, WTF?!?

Quote:

This game starts off with a simple storie that a little Mexican boy steals your Nintendo DS when. You fallow him and his father and it seems show you that the little Mexican boys father is a drug lord. you encounter a drug runner uncle that helps you because he has a beef with the little Mexican boys father. It unfolds from there, its worth playing just to see how crazy this game really is, but for educational purposes its not worth a penny.

A search for more reviews brought up these YouTube videos from the game. In terms of videogames, they are the most racist thing I have ever encountered. Worse still it is posing as educational software. How could this get out there one, and two how could someone have not been fired for it yet?

Thoughts? I'm going to submit this to Drudge and see what happens.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    "I can teach you many things, and Spanish is definitely one them"

Yikes, I think that poor boy is going to be taught something he doesn't want to learn!

Seriously though, that game is messed up.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Penny Arcade's take on Activision. The first line is a quote from Activision CEO Kotick regarding the Activision/Blizzard merger.

• Reply 3 of 4
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    That aint no "Dora" huh?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    They have the same IQ as the movie makers who depict people in the middle east as terrorists. Brainwash the masses early so they will be ready to join the army of God against the axis of evil when they grow up.