Internet Prob- Low Upload, only on Mac

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi everyone, I have a question that I think has to do with some network configurations. I have a FIOS connection and part of that is a great upload. I have not been home for some months because I was away at school. Now that I'm back I noticed the upload on my Mac is terrible.

I ran some network speed tests at a couple of sites that I have used in the past. On my Mac the uploads are pitiful. On my two PCs they are as fast as ever.

The only thing I had been fooling around with on my Mac was setting up a static IP so the port forwarding I had set up on my router didn't need to be reconfigured every time my computer was given a new IP address. Any advice on what could be causing this problem?

EDIT: I just tried unplugging my ethernet and connecting to my network wirelessly and the speeds are back up. So it has to do with my ethernet settings.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john.outwater View Post

Hi everyone, I have a question that I think has to do with some network configurations. I have a FIOS connection and part of that is a great upload. I have not been home for some months because I was away at school. Now that I'm back I noticed the upload on my Mac is terrible.

I ran some network speed tests at a couple of sites that I have used in the past. On my Mac the uploads are pitiful. On my two PCs they are as fast as ever.

The only thing I had been fooling around with on my Mac was setting up a static IP so the port forwarding I had set up on my router didn't need to be reconfigured every time my computer was given a new IP address. Any advice on what could be causing this problem?

EDIT: I just tried unplugging my ethernet and connecting to my network wirelessly and the speeds are back up. So it has to do with my ethernet settings.

First thing to try is go into system pref's, network, and create a new "Location". Give it a name and then test your network speed, tell us what you find.

Are you looking at HTTP or FTP for your speed tests. Try both, typically FTP are much faster then the HTTP speeds