Final Cut Studio 2 worth it?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
About to go to the iMac route, but I'd like to know if I should purchase this. I might want to edit videos in the future (as a side goal), etc, and money isn't a problem. However, I'd like to know if you think it's worth it.

I'm already getting: Logic Studio 8, due to my main goal is actually music composer. I was also slightly interested in Aperture, but I think I'm going to just get Photoshop. There's also Adobe CS3, but that looks too expensive.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    FCS2 is pretty beefy.

I'd say if you really want to have access to the benefits of the full suite go for it. If you just want to edit good video and are primarily doing DV/HDV Final Cut Express 4 is pretty solid as well.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    I agree with hmurchison, and for me it's definitely worth it.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    -nova--nova- Posts: 64member
    Thanks guys. So you suggest FCS2, the entire package?

And I forgot to ask, is Shake worth it too?

Finally, totally unreleated, is .4 GHz in CPU speed worth an extra $250?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -Nova- View Post

Thanks guys. So you suggest FCS2, the entire package?

And I forgot to ask, is Shake worth it too?

Finally, totally unreleated, is .4 GHz in CPU speed worth an extra $250?

It's a lot to commit to learning, but if you do, the possibilities are endless. The only thing I'm concerned about, is how into movie making you are. I'm sure you're capable of learning all the programs, but would you need the sound effects, titling program, after effects substitute, DVD authoring, and color correction? Or would you be content with just a powerful video editor. Final Cut Pro can do an amazing amount of stuff - if you just need that I'd get FCE.

I don't have much experience with Shake, I've messed around with it and didn't get very far - I want to say no but someone with more experience should probably answer that.

I don't think you'd be able to notice the .4GHz - $250 is quite a bit too, but it would improve render times slightly and might make things run a little faster. If it were me, I'd do it - I go all out. (Proud owner of an 8-core Mac Pro).

Two more things to note:

There's some "secret" FInal Cut meeting coming up the day after MWSF that you may have seen discussion about on this board, if you're not planning to already, I would wait until that occurs just in case.

If you're going to be using Motion 3 extensively make sure you have 4GB of ram.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Love it. Final Cut Studio 1 was great too though.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buddha View Post

If you're going to be using Motion 3 extensively make sure you have 4GB of ram.

I get along fine with just 2GB of RAM. It could be faster I suppose, though.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

I get along fine with just 2GB of RAM. It could be faster I suppose, though.

Maybe it's just me then. I do a lot of stuff involving tons of objects, emitters, filters, etc. and, when performing ram previews, can max out my 4GB relatively easily.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buddha View Post

Maybe it's just me then. I do a lot of stuff involving tons of objects, emitters, filters, etc. and, when performing ram previews, can max out my 4GB relatively easily.

Mac OS X is good at maxing out memory to make the best use of what you have. I was actually running motion with 1GB at decent (not great) speeds a while ago.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Thanks guys. I'll try and get a demo of FCS2 then, or try it out somewhere.

Yep, I was planning on waiting for the Mac Event. Does it end at the end of January, or earlier/later? If I recall, it's January 18th (I'll check myself again).

I'm willing to learn, so no worries there. I'm pretty good with programs too, lol.

Well, that's most, if not all my questions answered. Thanks guys.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Rumor has it there is some sort of Final Cut Studio "secret" that will be announced at Macworld a few days after the keynote. This is almost definitely NOT any upgrade you'd have to pay for. Likely what it is, is a blu-ray feature that is to be activated/added.