cuplo easy questions....

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I am setting up TCP_IP and cannot get the Built-in ethernet to show up as an option in Internet Connect..... I've tried everything....what can I do, obviosly it works on my OS 9 drive or I wouldn't be writing this now.

Also, I want to change the name of the computer. I went to user>edit and I can change the name to some extent but not the 'short' name.(which ends up reading on the Finder window)... how can I redo the innitial name giving to the computer . . . .do I have to reinstall everything again just to get these two issues fixed?

also, is 10.1.2 out yet?

[ 01-26-2002: Message edited by: pfflam ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    I can't help you with the first except to say the internet connect was for, I thought, only dialup. You use ethernet for broadband.

But to change the name go to System Preferences click on Sharing and you'll see the computer's name at the bottom. And yes 10.1.2 is out.

[ 01-26-2002: Message edited by: imacSE ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Hmmm... If your ISP uses DHCP for everything (as opposed to a static IP), you should not have had to configure anything. It should have worked automatically.

Anyways, I'm not sure if you've tried this but:

1. Make sure your ethernet card is plugged into the cable/dsl modem, hub, or whatever.

2. Go to System Preferences-&gt;Network.

3. Click on the "Show" dropdown and change it to "Built-in Ethernet".

4. Configure your Ethernet options.

If you get this far and still have problems, drop into a terminal, type "ifconfig -a", and post the output.