Needham opens coverage of Apple with "buy" rating

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    auguraugur Posts: 34member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Ok so where does someone like me in my thirty's that now wants to start buying some stock begin? Ignore all analyst and rely only on my own research? Or take their advice under advisement.

See my previous post. Don't play! You cannot win. It's just an illusion. Pay off all your debts instead. And if you have no debts, then help someone else pay off theirs.

Investing is slavery by proxy, but it isn't just the slave that is enslaved, but also the slave-master.

In the modern world, people are slaves of themselves, since they own stocks while working for publicly-traded companies. The world has never been more absurd than it is today.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    Bigdaddyp, pick some solid companies that are still growing and buy some shares. Then sit on them, or be "long" on them as investors put it. Augur, you sound like someone that did a lot of daytrading and got burned. I think your advice is good if you are in fact referring to daytrading.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by augur View Post

I was once a fool too.

Congratulations on getting over it.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Everybody says that when they are going up. They think it will last forever. Hence the old saying, "pride comes before the fall."

If you were wise, then you would get out now, but that is impossible. If you were wise, then you never would have gotten in.

You'll see. Been there, done that. I was once a fool too.

Btw, the wealth is an illusion. The more you "make," the more inflation you create. Your profit is also your expense. It's a vicious circle. The only way to win is to not play, but every new generation is suckered into playing. The more you manipulate your money, the less it will be worth. What could have been a tool becomes a weapon.

And I suppose you put all your money under a mattress.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

Oh great, that's all we need. Another dirty stinking analyst to read MacRumors and rerelease the news for AI to pick up again.

Like Augur said. It's all a pump and dump stratedgy. Analysts only "dig up facts" that will raise AAPL because the better the stock perform, the more they get paid. I feel bad for the idiots who listen to them.

Yeah yeah, Melgross, I know what you're going to say, that I'm an ignorant fool for thinking an Analyst's job is so trite and corrupted. I don't want to hear it again. Analysts are a waste of our time, as Mac Rumor mongers and should not be reported on. 90% of their info comes straight from the pages we read daily, which is evidenced by Shaw Wu's recent balk once Mac Rumors posted a sub-notbook rumor recap. He changed his analysis to nearly match almost all of MR's points. Coincidence? Only the naive would think so.

I typically think highly of your posts, Melgross. Don't let me down by being one of those niave people.

-Clive

I agree with you. Analysts are just slimy salesmen hiding behind the thin veneer of authenticity with gobbledygook they dig up in rumor sites, mathematical models and hype laden cons they can pull on institutions and the uninformed.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

And I suppose you put all your money under a mattress.

No. Why bother? It only has value if you spend it.

It was absurd to put money under a mattress, but it is more absurd to give somebody money and expect that they will give you more back. (2+2=5) If this was possible, then they would never need your money, since they could "grow" their own just as easily.

The absurdity doesn't end at the 2+2=5 equation; the person who is taking your money (the stock broker, banker or insurance saleman) actually believes the system works. It is the modern equivelent of alchemy intellectually. Instead of turning lead into gold, people believe that it is possible to turn 2+2 into 5. Eventually they discover that if 2+2=5, then 5=2+2, too.

We were all indoctrinated before we were educated. Money isn't real. It is a government created and (mis)regulated commodity.

Think Different.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Ok so where does someone like me in my thirty's that now wants to start buying some stock begin? Ignore all analyst and rely only on my own research? Or take their advice under advisement.

First of all, make sure that the money you want to spend is not something that you need. It can't be money that, if lost, will cause too much pain.

Having said that, you should learn something about the economy, the industry you would like to invest in, and the companies themselves.

Then you have to look at how those companies fit into the industry, and economy as a whole.

Then try to find the cream of the industry, and invest in them. They will be the lowest risk, but might only have a fair return.

But, if the industry itself is high risk, even the lowest risk investments in it could still have a fair amount of risk.

It's difficult for an individual investor to find out the information needed. If one is new at it, one may not even know where to look.

This is why investment help is often needed. The problem is that brokers aren't necessarily a good source for information, as often, they don't know that much themselves.

There are investment newsletters that are helpful, but the best are expensive.

Sometimes the best investment advice is to invest in a good mutual fund. Check out the history, remembering that, as they themselves say, past performance is no guarantee of future success.

As someone who has been investing since I was 13, for 45 years now, it's difficult to explain my strategy, as it's been built up from experience over the years. I'm fairly heavily invested in Apple since mid 2004, but that could change. I really don't hold Apple close to my heart, it's just been a very good investment. I owned Apple during the '90's, off and on, but dumped all of my stocks in 2000, and didn't get back until 2002.

Right now is not the best investment climate for several reasons.

But, if Apple continues to experience a pullback, I might invest more.

I've got other investments, some doing well, some not so well. I bought a company called Clearwire when the IPO came out. It went up a fair amount, but I failed to sell. It went down quite a bit, then came up again, and I got out. Now it's far down. I got lucky there.

Despite what some people here say, analysts who have a good record are not to be ignored. These guys don't earn their living by just guessing, but what they say is just part of the equation. In the end, you are responsible for your actions, and no one else is to blame or applaud.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Everybody says that when they are going up. They think it will last forever. Hence the old saying, "pride comes before the fall."

If you were wise, then you would get out now, but that is impossible. If you were wise, then you never would have gotten in.

You'll see. Been there, done that. I was once a fool too.

Btw, the wealth is an illusion. The more you "make," the more inflation you create. Your profit is also your expense. It's a vicious circle. The only way to win is to not play, but every new generation is suckered into playing. The more you manipulate your money, the less it will be worth. What could have been a tool becomes a weapon.

You must have done poorly.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The easiest way to get rich is to tell people what they want to hear. I stopped playing. The stockbroker-insurance man-banker tell people what they want to hear: I can make you rich!

Quote:

People say Im crazy doing what Im doing

Well they give me all kinds of warnings to save me from ruin

When I say that Im o.k. well they look at me kind of strange

Surely youre not happy now you no longer play the game

People say Im lazy dreaming my life away

Well they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me

When I tell them that Im doing fine watching shadows on the wall

Dont you miss the big time boy youre no longer on the ball

Im just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round

I really love to watch them roll

No longer riding on the merry-go-round

I just had to let it go

Ah, people asking questions lost in confusion

Well I tell them theres no problem, only solutions

Well they shake their heads and they look at me as if Ive lost my mind

I tell them theres no hurry

Im just sitting here doing time

Im just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round

I really love to watch them roll

No longer riding on the merry-go-round

I just had to let it go

I just had to let it go

I just had to let it go

-John Lennon

The love of money, the fear of death, the pride, the fear of tomorrow, etc., you may cling to it as securely as straw, but it is still straw in the end.

Maybe now you understand the difference between John Lennon and Paul McCartney. Paul couldn't let go, and neither can you, evidently. Not even a billion dollars will buy you the freedom from fear.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    Quote:

Doh! Replied to the wrong post.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    Quote:

First of all, make sure that the money you want to spend is not something that you need. It can't be money that, if lost, will cause too much pain.

Having said that, you should learn something about the economy, the industry you would like to invest in, and the companies themselves.

Then you have to look at how those companies fit into the industry, and economy as a whole.

Then try to find the cream of the industry, and invest in them. They will be the lowest risk, but might only have a fair return.

But, if the industry itself is high risk, even the lowest risk investments in it could still have a fair amount of risk.

It's difficult for an individual investor to find out the information needed. If one is new at it, one may not even know where to look.

This is why investment help is often needed. The problem is that brokers aren't necessarily a good source for information, as often, they don't know that much themselves.

There are investment newsletters that are helpful, but the best are expensive.

Sometimes the best investment advice is to invest in a good mutual fund. Check out the history, remembering that, as they themselves say, past performance is no guarantee of future success.

As someone who has been investing since I was 13, for 45 years now, it's difficult to explain my strategy, as it's been built up from experience over the years. I'm fairly heavily invested in Apple since mid 2004, but that could change. I really don't hold Apple close to my heart, it's just been a very good investment. I owned Apple during the '90's, off and on, but dumped all of my stocks in 2000, and didn't get back until 2002.

Right now is not the best investment climate for several reasons.

But, if Apple continues to experience a pullback, I might invest more.

I've got other investments, some doing well, some not so well. I bought a company called Clearwire when the IPO came out. It went up a fair amount, but I failed to sell. It went down quite a bit, then came up again, and I got out. Now it's far down. I got lucky there.

Despite what some people here say, analysts who have a good record are not to be ignored. These guys don't earn their living by just guessing, but what they say is just part of the equation. In the end, you are responsible for your actions, and no one else is to blame or applaud.

Thanks Mel I appreciate you sharing.

Jim