Apple accused of bullying Microsoft

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Just the title of that article alone constitutes putting this in.

http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com...ing-microsoft/

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Payback is a beeeotchh ain't it gates?
  • Reply 2 of 20
    samnuvasamnuva Posts: 225member
    More lawsuits? At least they provide humorus reading material...
  • Reply 3 of 20
    How ridiculous.

microsoft has always given Apple users junk versions of Office and has never supported Quicktime or AAC in Windows media Player.

Microsoft is just crying sour grapes because people have chosen a consumer freindly product and service instead of allowing Microsoft to bleed money from their pockets in return for inferior competition.

Apple has earned their stripes the hard way. Ms is looking for the easy way in yet again.

"If you can't beat 'em, sue 'em!"

Microsoft is hurting on every front and it is their own fault. they were truly antitrust and still are, but now they go after Apple for not supporting their proprietary formats?

Lame. they were after all, the ones who stopped supporting WMP for Mac and IE for Mac. They cannot force Apple to include their stuff in Mac OS X or its apps, just as MS windows and MS apps do not support Apples codecs.

If MS wants Windows Media support on the Mac, then they can produce anothe Mac WMP and see how it does. itunes should not be forced to include it. That is like saying all Honda's have to used toyota controller software.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Microsoft isn't the one suing (in this case). Some "individual" has sued Apple for not having WM support in iTunes.

Frivolous.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Craig Briskin:

http://www.linkedin.com/in/craigbriskin

Steven Skalet:

http://www.findjustice.com/about/attorneys/skalet/

Alreen Haeggquist

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/4/A94/442

We have a few people trying to make a name for themselves.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    cdong4cdong4 Posts: 194member
    If Apple were only offering say AAC or Apple Lossless Codec support then that would be something, but considering the iPods play multiple formats, including licensing free formats... I don't see what grounds they have against Apple.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    I might be misinterpreting, but isn't that lawsuit trying to make it a legal requirement for companies to support eachother's ecosystems? The example being that Apple should be required by law to support Windows Media.

Frivoulous suit with no basis in reality.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Yep,

Apple offers MP3 playback which is available on all platforms as well as h.264 which is available on all platforms.

Don't see the grounds here.

Without any merit really. I wonder who is funding this. If it is a small group, they are going to feel real foolish after a while as their pockets bleed out.

The next thing they will gun for is forcing Apple to license OS X for PCs.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CDonG4 View Post

If Apple were only offering say AAC or Apple Lossless Codec support then that would be something, but considering the iPods play multiple formats, including licensing free formats... I don't see what grounds they have against Apple.

What, WAV and AIFF ???

I can see that being popular with audio enthusiasts but not so much the record labels.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

Yep,

The next thing they will gun for is forcing Apple to license OS X for PCs.

A lawsuit like that is coming, you can bet on it.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Samnuva View Post

A lawsuit like that is coming, you can bet on it.

I know. That is that sad state of affairs.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:

Apple controls 75 percent of the online video market

I didn't realize this, and it is probably a skewed statistic. Most of the video that I see on the web is WMV or Flash based. There is a bit more Quicktime today than there was two years ago, but not much more. What is happening is that they see Apple's success with the iPod and their move into doing the same with Video and are worried that they are going to loose even more market share (of their licensed A/V format) to Apple while continuing to loose out to Adobe's solutions. I think that the market is speaking here since most if not all other MP3 payers and "satellite" video solutions on the market or coming to market do support WMA and WMV whose more open system for creation of protected A/V files allow for a broader range of content producers and distributers than Apple's system.

Now Apple will have to be careful with their success since they do not license FairPlay to anyone else to create protected digital media. This could result in a successful anti-trust law suit if they become the dominate A/V format and software solution for Video as well. The reason that I see this happening is that FairPlay is the only copy protected format that Apple supports, and Apple does not let anyone else to sell content with that copy protection which would lock people in to releasing content solely through Apple channels and lock out any competition from releasing copy protected video that is compatible with the dominate solution. Apple has dodged this bullet with audio due to the emerging market for the product and now the move by the audio industry to sell DRM free music. I don't see the Video industry releasing anything without DRM, Apple's solutions would hamstring not only the audio industry, which it is arguably doing now thus the move to DRM free music, but also video sales and rentals which would effect a lot more retailers and would be damaging to the industry. The simple solution of course is to release a way for others to incorporate FairPlay into their files or for Apple to add in support for a file format which does offer another solution for DRM to competitors in A/V file distribution.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Windows is a monopoly, and it doesn't run my AppleScripts. I should sue them.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @homenow View Post

I didn't realize this, and it is probably a skewed statistic. Most of the video that I see on the web is WMV or Flash based. There is a bit more Quicktime today than there was two years ago, but not much more. What is happening is that they see Apple's success with the iPod and their move into doing the same with Video and are worried that they are going to loose even more market share (of their licensed A/V format) to Apple while continuing to loose out to Adobe's solutions. I think that the market is speaking here since most if not all other MP3 payers and "satellite" video solutions on the market or coming to market do support WMA and WMV whose more open system for creation of protected A/V files allow for a broader range of content producers and distributers than Apple's system.

Now Apple will have to be careful with their success since they do not license FairPlay to anyone else to create protected digital media. This could result in a successful anti-trust law suit if they become the dominate A/V format and software solution for Video as well. The reason that I see this happening is that FairPlay is the only copy protected format that Apple supports, and Apple does not let anyone else to sell content with that copy protection which would lock people in to releasing content solely through Apple channels and lock out any competition from releasing copy protected video that is compatible with the dominate solution. Apple has dodged this bullet with audio due to the emerging market for the product and now the move by the audio industry to sell DRM free music. I don't see the Video industry releasing anything without DRM, Apple's solutions would hamstring not only the audio industry, which it is arguably doing now thus the move to DRM free music, but also video sales and rentals which would effect a lot more retailers and would be damaging to the industry. The simple solution of course is to release a way for others to incorporate FairPlay into their files or for Apple to add in support for a file format which does offer another solution for DRM to competitors in A/V file distribution.

I assume the 75% refers to sales, not total content.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

Windows is a monopoly, and it doesn't run my AppleScripts. I should sue them.

Another great idea.... But better do it before OSX overtakes windows. Then Apple gets sued for not running EXEs.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    tx65tx65 Posts: 31member
    the person filing the suit is a ________(insert your favorite adjective)
  • Reply 17 of 20
    You people are crazy!

Half of all MS employees are barely even aware of the existence of Apple!
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TX65 View Post

the person filing the suit is a ________(insert your favorite adjective)

I believe that would be a noun... but most likely it would be preceded by and adjective or four.

And the noun I choose: Cabuhodge.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

I believe that would be a noun... but most likely it would be preceded by and adjective or four.

And the noun I choose: Cabuhodge.

I think he is a jabberwockywockyjabber.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    kd86kd86 Posts: 42member
    Now guys, let's be fair. It's certainly understandable that someone would sympathize with Microsoft for not being ubiquitous enough.