mac maintenance

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Forgive me if this question appears to be silly, but as you can see by my name I'm not as computer savy as I hope to be in the future. Here it goes. I use Onyx (a fantastic app, imho) and as part of its routine I run a daily/weekly and monthly "script". I also understand that Tiger OS runs a procedure in the wee hours of the morning (if computer is on).

My questions are ......Does a user have to be logged on as well, and does airport (internet) have to be on? Also, does the OS procedure do anything different than Onyx? The reason I'm curious is that unless it's necessary for better performance and longevity I would prefer to shut down at the end of the day. Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Forgive me if this question appears to be silly, but as you can see by my name I'm not as computer savy as I hope to be in the future. Here it goes. I use Onyx (a fantastic app, imho) and as part of its routine I run a daily/weekly and monthly "script". I also understand that Tiger OS runs a procedure in the wee hours of the morning (if computer is on).

My questions are ......Does a user have to be logged on as well, and does airport (internet) have to be on? Also, does the OS procedure do anything different than Onyx? The reason I'm curious is that unless it's necessary for better performance and longevity I would prefer to shut down at the end of the day. Thanks for your help.

No, you do not have to be logged in for the cron jobs to work. As long at the system is on, not asleep, it will run any cron jobs.

Im not really sure what Onyx does, never been a big fan of those "maintenance" programs