Warner Bros. opts for Blu-ray over HD DVD

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Movie studio Warner Bros. has confirmed that it will switch to releasing HD movies only in the Blu-ray Disc format, potentially ending HD DVD's run in the marketplace and affecting the computer industry as a consequence.

The Hollywood business says it will continue producing movies in the two next-generation disc formats until May of this year, when it will use Blu-ray alone. Regular DVDs will still be sold alongside the HD format.

Abandoning HD DVD is a difficult decision but a "strategic" one based on a shifting balance of power between the two disc standards, Warner says. Since more customers are buying Blu-ray titles, choosing the one standard may help decisions at store shelves. Prices for movie players are said to be low enough that encouraging competition between the rival standards is no longer necessary.

"The window of opportunity for high-definition DVD could be missed if format confusion continues to linger," Warner Bros. chief executive Barry Mayer explains.

Dropping the standard is expected to create a tidal shift in the balance between Blu-ray and HD DVD. While both formats have until now offered a similar amount of movies in their format, Warner's defection may place as much as 70 percent of all major-label HD movies in the Blu-ray camp.

The timing of the choice may prove crucial for Apple. Both analysts and AppleInsider sources have indicated the Mac maker is likely to fully endorse Blu-ray as early as this month's Macworld San Francisco Expo. The company is a member of the Blu-ray Disc Association but has also included basic HD DVD support in its video editing software.

Microsoft has so far put most of its weight behind HD DVD and has supported the medium both through an Xbox 360 add-on and by encouraging use of the format by PC makers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 82
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Oh dear. Let the posturing begin. I don't think we'll hear the end of this from either side, be it the shills, cheerleaders or trolls.
  • Reply 2 of 82
    naturally you have me to thank for this... I knew whichever format I chose would the loser, someone had to be a scapegoat \

Anyhow, I do not see this as the end by a longshot... prices on HD DVDs will plummet because of this, and the average consumer won't be up on the news that HD DVD will soon be dead, or even if they are on the up and up they will buy HD DVDs for $10 a piece... this will cause another major imbalance in numbers... very very interesting how this is all unfolding.
  • Reply 3 of 82
    wallywally Posts: 211member
    I've actually never seen a side-by-side comparison of either format to be able to judge which is better in terms of quality. I know BR holds up to twice as much info - but both formats seemed DRM'd to high heaven.... I guess I really don't care what Warner does...
  • Reply 4 of 82
    Don't ya just love it...... changes at light speed........ or make that ray speed.
  • Reply 5 of 82
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Since I want to use optical discs for data, not just for movies, I want the format with the higher capacity to become dominant. That's BD. (And as nice side effects, a BD can hold more minutes of video, and can offer more advanced interactivity.)

Besides, it's just easier to say BD than HD-DVD
  • Reply 6 of 82
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    I'm glad to hear this 'cause I have a PS3. Now I'll hope for The Matrix in blu-ray. Planet Earth on blu-ray is amazing, and 300 is fricken' sweet also.
  • Reply 7 of 82
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wally View Post

I've actually never seen a side-by-side comparison of either format to be able to judge which is better in terms of quality. I know BR holds up to twice as much info - but both formats seemed DRM'd to high heaven.... I guess I really don't care what Warner does...

There is no longer any point in side-by-side comparison. The format war is over, even the HD-DVD people are saying that now.
  • Reply 8 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tacojohn View Post

I'm glad to hear this 'cause I have a PS3. Now I'll hope for The Matrix in blu-ray. Planet Earth on blu-ray is amazing, and 300 is fricken' sweet also.

I think the Matrix was always on the way, I think WB was waiting for BD Profile 1.1 or 2.0 before they release it.
  • Reply 9 of 82
    Apple and Microsoft were only ever bit-players in the BlueRay v.s. HD DVD battle. It was always going to come-down to the content/equipment suppliers and it was Sony's and the "Keiretsu" backing of BlueRay that made its eventual success a forgone conclusion.
  • Reply 10 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wally View Post

In retail, I think a side-by-side comparison would probably be rigged like some recent pro-Monster Cable side-by-side comparisons, which would look better would depend on who is paying for the display or the biases of the person or store setting it up.

In just the movie, the differences aren't that great with respect to sound and video quality. They are both very good, I don't think any retail display can do either format any justice.

Now, HD-DVD had an advantage in interactive features for a year now, but that's going away.
  • Reply 11 of 82
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Cool...I don't care who won. It just means now I can go out and commit and go by a player. Maybe I'll even get a PS3 now that the PS3 does PiP.

First on the list of movies. Blade Runner 5 disc Ultimate set. Then Hmmmmmm Gattaca.

But wait! What if Paramount or Universal commit to HD?
  • Reply 12 of 82
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    I just like blu-ray for the extra storage space...can't wait until I can burn 50GB on a single disk.
  • Reply 13 of 82
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    I've seen HD-DVD players going for under $200 recently. I wonder if this is why?
  • Reply 14 of 82
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

Cool...I don't care who won. It just means now I can go out and commit and go by a player. Maybe I'll even get a PS3 now that the PS3 does PiP.

First on the list of movies. Blade Runner 5 disc Ultimate set. Then Hmmmmmm Gattaca.

I bought a PS3 and use it primarily to play movies. It's a very nice piece of hardware and since you can do other stuff on it I thought it was a much better buy than a standalone BR player. I've only got one game for it (Oblivion) until Little Big Planet is released.
  • Reply 15 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

I've seen HD-DVD players going for under $200 recently. I wonder if this is why?

I don't think so, they were $200 a few months ago. I bought one of the $99 close-out models. I guess it might be kind of a waste now. It's not a sure thing, but many of the top sellers in HD were WB.
  • Reply 16 of 82
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    But of course! Blu-ray is so superior to HD-DVD that it is weird the latter is still alive. I only hope the new Macs come with a Blu-ray SuperDrive capable of both movie playback and rewrite for backups.

Sales comparison: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlOGSl13O1k

Market share: http://paulstamatiou.com/2007/12/28/...ray-vs-hd-dvd/
  • Reply 17 of 82
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

But of course! Blu-ray is so superior to HD-DVD that it is weird the latter is still alive. I only hope the new Macs come with a Blu-ray SuperDrive capable of both movie playback and rewrite for backups.

They will.
  • Reply 18 of 82
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Besides, it's just easier to say BD than HD-DVD

Unfortunately, there are lots of people that look at me funny when I say Blu-ray. I have to say Blu-ray DVD player or something. HD-DVD is kinda self explanatory.
  • Reply 19 of 82
    Now I just need Apple to release Blu-Ray burners for the Mac Pro so I can drop one in the free disc slot, and then add Blu-Ray burning functionality to iDVD (which will probably need a name change).
  • Reply 20 of 82
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gm7Cadd9 View Post

naturally you have me to thank for this... I knew whichever format I chose would the loser, someone had to be a scapegoat \

Nah, it Microsoft we have to thank. They have the anti-midas touch where everything they touch turns to Zune "brown"... Vista OS delayed and then released to mixed reviews, getting into the mp3 market just as demand levels off, Ballmer laughing off the iPhone, going with the HD-DVD format... those guys just can't get a break.\