Airport Utility "big" issue! Can't set the damn thing up!!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Quote:

An error occurred while joining the selected wireless network



Someone help, I cannot get this network set up. Just bought an Airport Extreme Base Station.



After several rescans I can "eventually" find the base station, but each and "every" time I click "Continue" I see this same drop-down error message - as above.



\



PLEASE HELP!!

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 4
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    Someone help, I cannot get this network set up. Just bought an Airport Extreme Base Station.



    After several rescans I can "eventually" find the base station, but each and "every" time I click "Continue" I see this same drop-down error message - as above.



    \



    PLEASE HELP!!



    Best way to set it up is to bring your computer right next to the base station whilst setting it up.



    I had a few problems with setting up mine from my very immobile Mac Pro upstair, so I had to use a MacBook Pro sitting near the base station to set it up. Also, it's possible your computer is outside the range of the base station. If this so true, you can boost the stations signal by tweaking some settings in the software, but this isn't a really good fix because it just gets slower the further you get from it. The other way is to by a Airport Express and set it up to "bridge" the signal. One final way that actually can affect the signal a lot is placement. The airport performs best when it is higher up. Also make sure you don't have any significant amounts of metal that would block the signal between the base station and your computer. Microwaves and wireless phones (not cell phones) can also affect the signal. If this is the case, switch the channel or the frequency used. The n standard seems to solve a lot of problems with other wireless devices.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    irelandireland Posts: 17,299member
    I found out what the problem was, the thing's fucked. Apple's sending me a new one - after half hour of tech. support.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    I found out what the problem was, the thing's fucked. Apple's sending me a new one - after half hour of tech. support.



    Sorry if I had seen this post earlier I could have told you that the same thing happened to me and they had to replace my AEBS.



    Seems there have been some problems with it. Although the new one works like a champ.



    Hopefully you will have a better experience with the new one as I did.



    Cheers.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    irelandireland Posts: 17,299member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post


    Sorry if I had seen this post earlier I could have told you that the same thing happened to me and they had to replace my AEBS.



    Seems there have been some problems with it. Although the new one works like a champ.



    Hopefully you will have a better experience with the new one as I did.



    Cheers.



    Nice to know I'm not alone, thanks.
Sign In or Register to comment.