airport extreme gigabit with usb printer issues

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Here is a real strange situation.....

FOr the longest time, I have had my hp laserjet 3330 connected to my airport extreme gigabit via usb. Recently out of the blue, all of my macs when trying to print to the HP, start the print job, but for some reason what comes out of the printer is only a few lines or sometimes up to half a page of the document and that's it. Nothing has been changed in any od hte macs or printer settings. I tried to reset the printer but that did nothing, I also did a hard reset on the airport extreme but that also did nothing.

ANy ideas what might be going on?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dage007 View Post

Here is a real strange situation.....

FOr the longest time, I have had my hp laserjet 3330 connected to my airport extreme gigabit via usb. Recently out of the blue, all of my macs when trying to print to the HP, start the print job, but for some reason what comes out of the printer is only a few lines or sometimes up to half a page of the document and that's it. Nothing has been changed in any od hte macs or printer settings. I tried to reset the printer but that did nothing, I also did a hard reset on the airport extreme but that also did nothing.

ANy ideas what might be going on?

Have you tried to simplify the problem and just try to print via USB (not wireless). If it doesnt print in that state then I would guess its the printer (only other thin is printer drivers or USB cable).

Just a tip, if your having a problem (any problem) try to reduce it down the the simplest state you can. Only then do you add more variables to the equation (wireless).
  • Reply 2 of 2
    dage007dage007 Posts: 320member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by windowsuck View Post

Have you tried to simplify the problem and just try to print via USB (not wireless). If it doesnt print in that state then I would guess its the printer (only other thin is printer drivers or USB cable).

Just a tip, if your having a problem (any problem) try to reduce it down the the simplest state you can. Only then do you add more variables to the equation (wireless).

Well I think I figured the problem but it is a weird one...

I am not running wireless from the airport extreme so that is not a concern. I have the airport going to a gig switch and most of my machines to the gig switch. When I use the printer via usb to the mac or macs, it prints no problem. When i connect that usb cable to the airport extreme, I get the problems described above. When I add a usb hub "not powered, thought it has the option to add power to it" then connect the hub to the airport it works fine. It has something to do with the connection between the printer and the airport. I tried different cables and I still get the problem. The only way to resolve the problem is to introduce a usb hub between the printer and the airport.

Weird...