Time Machine Help!!!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I was just looking in my LaCie hard drive, that I use for my Time Machine backups, and I noticed that there are no backups dated this year, 2008. I think that it's working, because I can hear the drive fire up from time to time, and, I can see the arrows spinning behind the drive name in Finder. When I open TM, the last folder that it shows is from 12/25/07, just like the directory shows in the attached jpg.

My question is - is Time Machine actually working for me? I think that it's probably not working.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Try this:
    1. Right click on the Time Machine icon in your dock and choose Time Machine Preferences

2. It should show you what the time and date of your last backup was

3. To test Time Machine, keep the preference panel open and right click on the Time Machine icon in the dock again, this time choosing Back Up Now

4. You should see the progress bar appear on the Time Machine preference pane and you should be able to see it progress through the whole process

5. If you do not see the progress bar, then Time Machine is no longer working correctly

If Time Machine has stopped working for some reason, you might want to open up Disk Utility and see if there is a problem with your Time Machine disk.

Hope it works out. Let us know what happens.

Cheers.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

Try this:
    1. Right click on the Time Machine icon in your dock and choose Time Machine Preferences

2. It should show you what the time and date of your last backup was

3. To test Time Machine, keep the preference panel open and right click on the Time Machine icon in the dock again, this time choosing Back Up Now

4. You should see the progress bar appear on the Time Machine preference pane and you should be able to see it progress through the whole process

5. If you do not see the progress bar, then Time Machine is no longer working correctly

If Time Machine has stopped working for some reason, you might want to open up Disk Utility and see if there is a problem with your Time Machine disk.

Hope it works out. Let us know what happens.

Cheers.

I think that late last night, I may have figured it out. I noticed in the preferences, that the little lock in the lower left-hand corner, was unlocked. I locked it, then a little while later, I noticed that TM was working, and completed like it should. Then, this morning, it completed another backup. I wonder if that lock needed to be locked. Then I wonder why it was not locked. I must have messed with it on the date of my last backup.

• Reply 3 of 3
    You can also go to Finder and right click on the Timemachine drive in the sidebar and select "back up now"